Red Velvet Recipe

Decorating By dreamdelights Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 1:08am by dreamdelights

dreamdelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamdelights Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 13

Who has the best red velvet cake recipe. I have not tried Cake Man Raven yet. I see it has a lot oil in the recipe and limited cocoa powder. Has any tried the recipe.

12 replies
gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:19am
post #2 of 13

I use the Cake Mix Doctor recipe. It actually calls for a white cake mix and you add the cocoa and red food coloring. I love her recipes. I haven't tried a bad one yet. You can look on her website for her recipes or get her books. I have the Chocolate Cake Mix Doctor and the Cake Mix Doctor.

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:29am
post #3 of 13

I use the one on here that is alot like Cake Man with the oil and buttermilk....comes out really good! Nothing but praise everytime I make it. On here, it's under "Chef Stef's southern red velvet cake" HTH icon_smile.gif

mimido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimido Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:36am
post #4 of 13

Hi ,newbie here, but long time lurker. I have have used Cake man Raven"s
Red Velvet recipe. I have always gotten rave reviews on it and his frosting.

dreamdelights Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:43am
post #5 of 13

Thanks for answering now all I have decide is which one I will try

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:48am
post #6 of 13

I love Cake Man Ravens, have tried Paula Deens & Waldorf, but Cake Mans is better.

momsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsgoodies Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:59am
post #7 of 13

Can anyone give me cakeman recipe, pleaseeeeeeeeee!!

Thank you girls,

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:23am
post #8 of 13

I found this in another forum posticon_smile.gif

Cakeman's Recipe

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7054/southern-red-velvet-ii

Frosting: 4 cups of Confectioners Sugar, 1 lb. of cream cheese (room temperature), 1 lb. of butter (softened) and 2 tsp. of vanilla. extract.

Frosting: Mix together the cream cheese and the softened butter. Gradually add confectioners sugar until it reaches desired sweetness and smoothness. Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and frost the cake. Serves 10-12

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:25am
post #9 of 13

I just found this link for it alsoicon_smile.gif Its from his episode on Food Network.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sara-moulton/southern-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:35am
post #10 of 13

I am researching Red Velvet cake recipes now. I searched through the books I had on hand, the internet and here on CC. I found 39 recipes of which I found two duplicates. There were differences between the basics in a cake like flour, sugar, eggs and butter depending on how much batter it made. But the difference was in the vinegar, baking soda and cocoa. They were all over the map. I was able to eliminate another 10 recipes based on the redundancy of that also. I put all the recipes in a spreadsheet to see if I can find any differences and the only thing are these ingredients. There were a few that did something different like 1/2 butter/1/2 oil (bobby flay), brown sugar, etc. I haven't tried one with brown sugar yet.

So far I made the one from Bobby Flay. Besides getting enough batter for 36 cupcakes, it came out dry on two attempts. That was over a week ago. I have been a bit busy and not able to revisit this recipe. But after thinking about it I think I over baked them, I mean seriously overbaked them. I made cupcakes. In an attempt to try to get a dome, I baked them for 10 minutes at 400 and then dropped the oven to 350 for 10 minutes. But given that it is an electric oven I think it took longer to drop down and that 10 minutes at 400 was too long and it dried out. I'm going to try it again at 350 only.

There were alot of recipes like Raven's recipe - 2.5 cups flour to 1.5 cups sugar. It is the soda, salt, vinegar, and cocoa that are all different.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:15am
post #11 of 13

I tried 2 other Red Velvet's before Cakeman's and they were disgusting!!!! Then, I made mini cupcakes from his recipe and topped them with a Decorator's Buttercream swirl -- they were a HUGE hit at a gathering I went to.

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:11pm
post #12 of 13

I made Cakeman's RV not too long ago. It seemed pretty good but I have to admit I had never eaten RV before. My husband who is the taste tester thought it was pretty good but thought the icing should be different. I think I might try Cakeman's cake again but try a cream cheese icing with white chocolate and see if that gives it what seems to be missing for my husband. I've been eyeing the Dreamy Creamy White Choc Cream Cheese frosting on here. He actually preferred Walmart's RV cake over Cakeman's. Maybe the white chocolate will help.

dreamdelights Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:08am
post #13 of 13

I made the red velvet Confetti cake book and it seem to have too much cocoa powder. It called for 1/2 cup. It tasted too much like chocolate instead of the hint of chocolate. Her recipe calls for cake flour. Now I am going try cake man raven. Her recipe calls for oil so it makes the cake moist but the color was too dark because of the amount of cocoa powder. I am looking forward to trying the other recipe to determine which will be my keeper. I get so much request for red velvet. Its funny because I it is not one of my favorite.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%