Stenciling On The Side Of Cake With Buttercream

Decorating By laurieadams0901 Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 3:36am by elvisb

laurieadams0901 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurieadams0901 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 8

I have my first wedding cake coming up on July 31. It's a 4-tiered cake. The bride wants fruit filling between all the layers and iced in white buttercream then all the stencil work in black. Did I mention that it has to be transported from Louisiana to New Jersey! Is it possible to stencil with buttercream and also how to keep it fresh? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!! icon_confused.gif

7 replies
shawn1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawn1980 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:20am
post #2 of 8

I seen the cake boss stencil with royal icing on fondant..

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:38am
post #3 of 8

I did a cake and the groom didn't want fondant, but the bride wanted stenciling. So we stenciled on the middle tier white over a wide black strip of fondant. I think it looked nice. I used sugarveil. It's in my pics.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 8

if you go to u-tube there is a tutorial on there and i think there might be on in here in the tons of tutorials.

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 8

OOOOHHHH BOYYYYY! I live in Ga. and just did my first black and white bc wedding cake this past weekend . oh yeah my first stenciling also icon_sad.gif . I used black royal icing for the piping and omg half the stencil work pulled up with the syencil on all four sides everty layer icon_sad.gif I ended up piping a different design on the cake . The humidity killed me here in ga . the black ri bleed on the white bc and had to redo the cake again by then I was in tears actually my post is in the disaster form lol ! by the time I got it to the wedding 30 minutes away it had started bleeding on the cake again icon_sad.gif I just put it on the back side of the cake but was very noticeable icon_sad.gif the cake turned out beautiful anyway but it was not the stencil the bride wanted icon_sad.gif .I mixed black bc with my royal black icing and it did hold up better on the white bc. GOOD LUCK!

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 8

I have traveled with a few cakes, but I take them in piece and do the finishing once I get there. I am always afraid something would hit the decorations then I couldn't fix. I do the stencil in BC alot. I just make sure the cake is well crusted over before I do it. Leave early enough so when you get there you have time to decorate and put together. Good luck

lillielu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillielu Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 8

I think you are asking for trouble when you live in Louisiana and try to transport a cake all the way to New Jersey if its buttercream, the humidity alone is a great deterent. Even if I got the cake there intact, I would be a nervous wreck!

lillielu

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:36am
post #8 of 8

The farthest I've traveled with a cake was 2 hours, but I took it with just a base layer of bc and it was in individual tiers. I stacked and decorated when I got there. Leave yourself plenty of time. All it takes is for someone to pullout in front of you and there goes hours of detail work you did. Not to mention sun shining on it through windows, crappy roads making everything vibrate. And I'm just so paranoid about other people's driving, so the further I have to drive, the less work gets done in the kitchen. I pack a toolbox and have enough icing and every tool I would need in case I have to start over from the beginning. Sounds like a lot of hassle, but you're going to spend the time on the cake anyway, it's just a matter of where you do the work. And it's less hassle than having to take the cake apart to fix if something bad happens.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%