"could I Get Your Recipe?"

Business By Kitagrl Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 5:43am by honeyscakes

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:51pm
post #31 of 78

You know, when I have given out recipes people usually say "it's just too much trouble" when they read it. Like IMBC and its variations. Actually, it makes most of the people appreciate the good ingredients and the time involved in making the goods. icon_lol.gif

Melanie Mc.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:02am
post #32 of 78

Kita - you have every right to refuse giving out a recipe - especially to a competitor! I stand behind your decision. thumbs_up.gif

I'm happy to give out recipes for anything I don't sell, but if it's something I sell and someone asks, nope, no way, not gonna do it. However, I will say that I've given out some of those recipes to folks on CC who've asked - and to me that's a different story as we're all here to share and learn and I don't have to worry that Martha in Mississippi is going to be stealing my customers. icon_lol.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:13am
post #33 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

This is an interesting topic, since I fell in love with something called Possum Pie while visiting Arkansas a few months ago. This one particular restaurant was known for their pies, and I can't get that one out of my mind. Sure, I can google recipes, but they will never be like THAT ONE. 5 states away, I have no intention of ever going there again and I am certainly no competition, but I want that pie recipe! So it's a faux-pas to call and ask for it?

Having never eaten at Stoby's, I have never had that pie. But is this recipe remotely like the pie you ate? http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=35851

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:15pm
post #34 of 78

Sorry for the delay. I just had 2 minutes to come here and read the postings and saw that I received many pms requesting my brownie recipe. I'm very busy right now but will do it definitely by this early evening. The reason why I need more than the 2 minutes it's taking for me to type this is because I have to explain what putting a little bit more or a little bit less of any particular ingredient will do to the final product (so that you are informed and can customize it to your particular tastes!) icon_biggrin.gif

However, I would like to warn you - preparing this recipe for common mortals is not good. If you are married, be prepared to have fights with your husband because men will travel thousands of miles to pound on your door, asking for a bite and/or your hand in marriage! If you are going to bake it, please use your power for good and not evil purposes!

You have been forewarned! icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:21pm
post #35 of 78

I can't wait to see this secret, fantastic man grabbing brownie recipe. I might just have to try it and bring it to work for the taste test.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:29pm
post #36 of 78

I don't want another man--one is plenty. But good brownies..............

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:02am
post #37 of 78

Oh I'm excited now! Brownies mm

EllieA Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:12am
post #38 of 78

Here is my brownie recipe. My advice is that you cut it in very small pieces because it's very, very rich.
What you need:
5 ounces of semisweet chocolate, cut in little pieces
3 ounces of unsweetened chocolate, cut in little pieces (if you find the recipe is too rich, cut this to 2 ounces but I wouldn't recommend it - let them have Death By Chocolate!
1 stick of unsalted butter, also cut into little pieces
3 level tablespoons of cocoa powder. I like Dutch processed but have found that natural cocoa is just as good for this particular recipe
3 large eggs (the perfect amount is 90 to 100 grams so if the eggs are small, you'll have to use 4)
1-1/4 cups of sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 bowls (one heatproof)
1 whisk
1 spatula
1 tray to bake in
1 oven
10 minutes
(easy, right?)
1. If you are going to use a dark baking tray, heat your oven to 350 degrees. Glass (what I use) 325. Bake for 35 minutes and yes, I know - brownies bake in one hour. Nope. Not this one. And I know some people who like to turn the oven on 5 minutes before the mixture is ready but the heat really kicks in the baking process so please turn it on ahead of time.
2. Adjust the rack to the lower middle position in the oven (3rd floor in a 10-story building).
3. Prepare the baking tray (I always have ready a nice mixture of 1/3 Crisco shortening, 1/3 all-purpose flour and 1/3 vegetable oil, I brush it and I'm ready in 1 minute)! Some people like to line the tray with aluminum foil (for ease of lifting afterwards), but I like the brownie naked when it's done! Easier to start gobbling it down! icon_biggrin.gif
4. Melt chocolates and butter in a double boiler (so as not to burn the chocolate, which in itself is a sin worthy of the Ninth Circle in Hell!). The water doesn't have to boil - Just enough to melt the mixture so you can mix it properly. Once that's done, mix in the cocoa powder until disolved. If you cream the butter before adding it to the chocolate, it will eventually aereate the batter, which makes for a lighter, cakier brownie. The fat in the semisweet chocolate will make the brownie moist and since it replaces the fat in the butter, that allows for a velvety taste - not soggy and yucky as it would be if you put more butter. Believe me - I know! icon_eek.gif
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, the sugar, the vanilla and the salt until they are combined (20 seconds?). Put an additional egg if you want the batter a bit drier - two more eggs will make it sort of rubbery but I really like 3 large eggs!
6. Whisk the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and then the flour (very short time - only until it's barely combined)
7. Pour into baking tray. Level with spatula.
8. Cool for an hour. Remove from tray. Serve with cold milk. Prepare to be adored!

Don't forget to pull the brownies out when the toothpick still has crumbs sticking to it (35 minutes!). Don't blame me if you leave it in the oven for longer than that!
FYI: you will notice the brownies sport a glorious shine in the crust. This occurs (I googled the information), because when the batter starts heating up,some of the sugar molecules, which are lighter (yeah, right!) than the other ingredients (fats, proteins, starches), rise to the surface, dry up with further baking, form the crust that is a level surface that reflects light and this produces shine, shine, shine!
Did I say enjoy? Okay: ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:21am
post #39 of 78

Printing this right now.... I have never been able to make brownies. They are either to dry or taste like they don't have enough chocolate in them. I want my brownies so rich and fudgey you need a gallon of milk to wash them down. I can't wait to try this out. Thank you so much for taking the time to post it EllieA!

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:34am
post #40 of 78

EllieA -- wow -- you should write cookbooks! I loved reading your recipe -- funny and informative. Even if I never make the brownies, I appreciate having read the recipe.

I also think it is okay to ask for the recipe, as long as you are prepared to be gracious whatever the response. I think it is out of line if you ask for the recipe, are told no, and then hound the person from then on.

Out of curiousity, for the people who hate to be asked, would you find it less annoying if instead of being asked for the recipe outright, someone asked instead if they could buy your recipe or if you had a recipe collection or cookbook that they could buy that included the recipe? Assuming still that if you said no, that would be the end of it and no grumbling on my part.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:44am
post #41 of 78

Ellie,
What size pan do you use for this recipe?
Thanks.

SugarBoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBoy Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:56am
post #42 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

"So, when are you going to start having babies?"

That reminded me of when family and friends used to ask me the "baby" question. I always answered "My mama would kill me if I came home pregnant." (I was in my early 30's and married for some years.) At one family b-b-q, someone asked the question and I gave my reply. My mother was within earshot. She turned around and says, "What?!" So I told her, "You never said I could." LOL!

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:11am
post #43 of 78

I eat at Stoby's on a regular basis, and possum pie is not on the menu here in Conway, that must be just for Russellville from Patticakes. Years ago they wouldn't give out their recipes but I have a few, because I was really good friends with a lady that used to make some of the pies and cakes for the Conway location, I was also able to get the cheese dip recipe, I need to try and find those recipes again, I have no idea where I put them, they have the best Strawberry cake and German chocolate pie. Yummy!

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:24am
post #44 of 78

I am brave enough to ask at a restaurant if there's something I like. You never know what their policies are, and if they give it to you, then great! If not, that's their right, and I'm not going to be upset about it. It's worth a try.

When people ask me, I tell them it would be like a magician giving away their secrets, and besides, my recipes are for large quantities and don't scale down very well. They usually don't push the issue. I figure it's a compliment if they ask for the recipe, but that doesn't mean they're going to get it! icon_smile.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:34am
post #45 of 78

EllieA....that sounds amazing! Can't wait to try them.

Kita....you are always so willing to share your knowledge with us here...and I really appreciate that. I don't think that there is anything wrong in keeping your signature recipe to yourself (or all of your recipes if that was what felt right to you).

I have a couple of recipes I got from CC that I love and get rave reviews ..but it will be my discretion if/when and who I may ultimately choose to share them with. Someday, maybe my husband, who is an amazing cook, will pry them out of me....until then....

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:03am
post #46 of 78

Molly Wizenberg, author of "A Homemade Life" and creator of the blog, "Orangette" addresses the idea of "secret recipes" in her book:

"I do not like secret recipes. The whole idea is sort of ridiculous. Recipes are by nature derivative: rare is the recipe that springs, fully formed, from thin air, without the influence, wisdom, or inspiration of other prior dishes. Recipes are made to be shared. That's how they improve, how they change, how new ideas are formed and older ones made ripe. The way I see it, sharing a recipe is how you pay back fate--in a karmic sense, if you believe in such things--for bringing you something so tasty in the first place. To stop a recipe in its tracks, to label it secret, just seems mean. And isn't cooking about making people, on some level or another, feel good? It seems to me, then, that it only makes sense to give people the means to continue feeling good. By which I mean the recipe. Anyway, one person can only cook for so many people, but by giving away a recipe, you can become, as word of the recipe spreads far and wide, the Amazing Cook Who Had That Amazing Recipe. Just imagine it."

Just sharing my take on things. I know there are those who will agree as well as disagree. I know when I follow a recipe given to me by another, I think of that person while in the kitchen that day. And that's kind of nice.

EllieA Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:35pm
post #47 of 78

Sorry. As you may see, the ingredient amounts are relatively small so the tray should be 8" X 8".

Thank you for trying and enjoying it! icon_biggrin.gif

I feel lots of mmmmmmmmmmms! around the country (world?) right now and boy, am I going to demand credit for each of them to Saint Peter when it's my turn to face him and decide my Fate! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

EllieA Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:56am
post #48 of 78

AuraDark:
Why? I gave you the recipe already? You want me to bake it for you? IN that case, sure .... Did you find out I have more than 1000 recipes and they are all great? Which ones do you want? Jusut let me know (except for Possum Pie - otherwise, I would have shared it already! icon_biggrin.gif ). But seriously, anything anybody wants, I probably have and will be happy to share!

sweetbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbn Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:36am
post #49 of 78

I hesitated to give out a recipe for a cake I made and brought to a large function, but I did it in the end. I worried that if people found out they wouldn't want to order from me. Not the case though, people are wondering when their next big event is going to be so they have an excuse to order Lol

However, when I did give it out I told her that the recipe is huge so I cut it in half for her and it still makes a large quantity. At the end of the ingredients I wrote "Bake as you would any other cake" and "if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask". I never did hear back from her come to think of it, but I haven't been at work to see her either. So do what you feel most comfortable doing!

On another note I did get my boyfriends Moms recipe for perogie and I eat those bad boys like they are going out of style, but I've been too chicken to try it out in case its a dud lol

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:46am
post #50 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieA

AuraDark:
Why? I gave you the recipe already? You want me to bake it for you? IN that case, sure .... Did you find out I have more than 1000 recipes and they are all great? Which ones do you want? Just let me know (except for Possum Pie - otherwise, I would have shared it already! icon_biggrin.gif ). But seriously, anything anybody wants, I probably have and will be happy to share!

AuraDark's account has been hacked or something; they're working on the problem.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:13pm
post #51 of 78

Sometimes I will make cakes as a gift for one of my friends for a big birthday/baby shower whatever as I know we all do sometimes for someone close to us... the one that really irritates me is one particular family and their guests ALWAYS ask for my recipes I try to (as gracefully) as possible decline as the recipes are "trade secrets of mine" immediately after which my best friends dad always jumps in and says "I don't know what the big deal is you can get any recipe you want off google anyway - ( said in a way that sounds as if I should just hand over all my recipes) to which I usually say "yes, you can find A recipe on google and just use that" and I walk away.

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:33pm
post #52 of 78

I always share my recipes.I figured...no two cooks/bakers/decorators are alike! I have come across many many meanies who ask me for every freaking recipe and I always share,yet whenever I ask them (RARELY) for something...they have the nerve to laugh and say,oh its a secret!!!
But...even though they have my recipes...I've NEVER had ANYONE cook/bake/decorate anything the way I did...hence...their families are always crazy about my cooking,baking and decorating skills...and I am talking about many many friends of mine!
It never hurts to share... see Sugarshack or Edna ! we love them because they share every little detail,trick and method! but how many of us can have similar quality of work?
I do not see any problems in sharing recipes..I think of it as Karma! I think people love and respect those who never hide secrets of their success icon_smile.gif
so kitagrl... now I am curious about your cake recipe icon_rolleyes.gif please share,it sounds YUMMY!!!! icon_biggrin.gif
- h

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:04am
post #53 of 78

Thanks for sharing Ellie A. Can't wait to try them. I just shared my Mother's Buttermilk Pound cake recipe to a CCer..I use (and a lot of other ccers)a lot of the recipes on this site that people have shared.. we thank you for that..

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:35am
post #54 of 78

I will not give out business recipes I use either if it is a competitor asking for them or a customer. I had one competitor ask if I use ready made fondant or homemade and my reply was "Homemade. Most of my recipes I found on Cake Central and tweaked to my liking. You should give the site a look." I figure I am offering good recipes this way but not actually sharing "THE ONES" that I use. That is, unless they search out recipes that I have submitted. If they do the work and find them, more power to them! At least they won't know which brands of each ingredient I use. icon_lol.gif

HarrietBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarrietBakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:39pm
post #55 of 78

Oh my God, that brownie recipe sounds amazing, thanks so much for sharing! V generous. I so have to try it!! I need a brownie right now, right now!!!

But seriously, how do you Americans cope???? How much is a stick of butter? Surely they must vary? What even IS a stick of butter? Is it just a block of butter from the shop? You have probably gathered, I am very disoriented and confused haha!

I don't understand baking with cups either. I need WEIGHTS! And now I bet if I make these brownies they go terribly wrong. I am in torment!!!

icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:49pm
post #56 of 78

Pounds of butter are usually packed either in one pound packages or more usually in 4 sticks (or cubes) to the pound. They fit perfectly in old-fashioned butter dishes.

So each stick is 1/4 pound.

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:21pm
post #57 of 78

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Possum-Pie

Here is the link for the recipe for that actual recipe you guys are looking for. I recognized it right off when she said the name and location, because I have all the Taste of Home cookbooks and I remember when they got it from the restaurant and published it. Enjoy!

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:29pm
post #58 of 78

I tend to go ahead and give my recipes. It is almost always more work than it is worth for someone to make them (I do mostly cake bites). I rarely do exactly the same thing twice and many of my ingredients are eyeballed, plus the weather and timing and humidity play a part. Plus my recipes don't usually include the brand I use- that is just in my head. If they are good enough to get an exact copy, more power to em! I admit I have not had a competitor ask for one yet.

thanks for the brownie recipe!

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:49pm
post #59 of 78

I worked for years at a cafe, once the owner was asked for a recipe and she went to her office and returned with a piece of paper gave it to the girl and walked away.

Later I asked about the recipe and she said she only gave out recipes that looked like it would match the dish and not her recipes. Indeed a dud recipe.

Why I asked and she said cause I can.

HarrietBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarrietBakes Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:59am
post #60 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Pounds of butter are usually packed either in one pound packages or more usually in 4 sticks (or cubes) to the pound. They fit perfectly in old-fashioned butter dishes.

So each stick is 1/4 pound.

OOH thanks that is very very helpful! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%