I'm In Airbrushing Hell!!! A Day Of Ranting!

Decorating By thatslifeca Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 3:27pm by thatslifeca

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:53am
post #1 of 38

Ok, so I bought this airbrushing thingy because I thought wow something new to learn. I saw a few web pics and thought "I would like to learn how to do that!" I didn't know where to begin, so I did a post and icer was nice enough to help point me in the right direction. Gave me book titles and where to search to find additional help. Thank you again icer, you might not want to read the rest of this post icon_redface.gif . Wellll, my hubby came home from playing golf to find me in the drive way with a hammer and the itty bitty pieces of what is now left of my airbrush. I think his shocked I'm not usually a voilent person. My arms are covered in different colours, I've wrecked I don't know many dummies, there is pink, purple, blue and other assorment of colours on my counter, cabnets, frig, stove and so on. I don't even know if this stuff comes off. All I know is hubby is downstairs trying to clean it up the poor old fella. Hasn't said much to me, just "honey why don't you go and relax". I so wanted to learn how to use that darn thing. How is it that I can pipe scrolls and lace and extensions and do some very detailed work, BUT I can't get a little spray thingy to do what I wanted it to do. I am defeated by a little thing attached to a compressor or something! I BOW TO THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE TALENT TO USE THOSE THINGS, YOU ARE A TRUE ARTIST!! I think I have it all out know. Sorry it's so long, but CC'ers are the only people who undertand cake. And I noticed that my neighbour is looking at me kinda funny. Must of seen me smash and call that airbrush ever name in the book in 2 languages icon_cry.gif

37 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:11am
post #2 of 38

Did you really smash your airbrush? icon_sad.gif

Aww that's too bad.... sorry you had such a bad day!!!! I don't think the books help much...I just use a turntable and do whatever works with the airbrush. I can't make pictures with it...I just use it for coloring and shading.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:31am
post #3 of 38

I read your post out loud to my husband/artist. He said he would give anything to have seen a video of you smashing your airbrush.

Did your neighbor take a video with his phone perhaps? If so, maybe he will put it on youtube and we can all see it.

Sorry, for your troubles. I started using an airbrush for my pottery just last week and yes, it takes practice and patience. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:33am
post #4 of 38

So very sorry that happened to u.... icon_sad.gif I have a airbrush, and I too only use it to put color on my cakes...I do not know how to do anything else with it...take care and I am sure better days ahead for u...

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:38am
post #5 of 38

I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud at the image of you in the driveway smashing a defenseless airbrush with a hammer! Relax, have a drink and get back at it tomorrow...if your airbrush is still usable that is.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:45am
post #6 of 38

Oh no, did you really smash it? I'm sorry, they are tricky little buggers, but I've never wanted to smash one....ok, maybe when the white gets clogged, which is always.

I generally use mine to color things like....the apple cake, orca cake...add pearl shimmer, get rid of cornstarch marks, etc. It's great for cakes where you want variegated color, backgrounds etc, but anything detailed I still use a paint brush. And yes paint gets everywhere.

I'm sorry this happened, I hope you decide, at some point, to give it another go. Practicing on butcher paper helps.
icon_sad.gif

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:29am
post #7 of 38

I SOOOO know where your coming from, I had to buy one to make a tartan. a freakin PLAID tartan. it was RED, and GREEN, with small little yellow lines in the red and green.

most of my cake stuff including the boxes, rolling pin and various counters are STILL red and green.

I bet I went through 12 differnt batches of fondant, a half a bottle of vodka, 6 sheets of plastic for stencils, and used cuss words my husband didnt hear when he worked for the prison, and hasnt heard as a truck driver.

I did want to throw it occasionally, and cussed the dear friend who wanted a 'simple' cake so much that she had her hearing checked, but I restrained myself. Mostly because I had spend more on buying the airbrush in my tiny little town on 5 minutes notice (no research, no competitors, just a directive from my husband to haul butt to town and find one, he was staying home from work for a few hours to help me use it) than I made on the stupid cake!!

I am sorry, But I do symopothise!!

thatslifeca Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 38

icon_confused.gif I was suppose to mix the paint with vodka? I just put the paint right in that little hole thing on top. Yup, I smashed it. I give up on that one for now. It looks so easy when you watch someone doing it. I tend to forget sometimes, that in cake art you can't just pick up something and go.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

icon_confused.gif I was suppose to mix the paint with vodka? I just put the paint right in that little hole thing on top.

No, you don't need to thin with vodka as long as you buy liquid/airbrush food color.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 38

You might try going to HowToAirbrush.com where they have easy to follow instructions that won't take you long to progress to the point where airbrushing is fun, and I venture to guess your airbrush would appreciate it too! icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:49pm
post #11 of 38

Thatslifeca...If you were using airbrush colors you do not need to mix it with vodka...I can relate to your frustration...Last week I did 2 cakes that I airbrushed and I ended up stripping the icing off the tops cause I was so pissed at how the cake looked..I must have gotten too close to the cake and some grease looking spots appeared..It made the cake look blotchy..I was so mad...I have had mine for several years now and it is definelty a learning process one which I have not mastered yet either...

Must have been funny watching you destroy this machine on your driveway though icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:51pm
post #12 of 38

I recently bought one too, am in the process of learning to use it. The first time was a bear, all my fingers were yellow. I found the sight bobwb refered to HowToAirbrush.com and it has helped a lot! I can now airbrush in a straight line, yippee! Sorry you had such a bad experience, I did use bad words at mine, but haven't progressed to smashing it yet, there is still time though!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:57pm
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellescountrycakes

I SOOOO know where your coming from, I had to buy one to make a tartan. a freakin PLAID tartan. it was RED, and GREEN, with small little yellow lines in the red and green.

most of my cake stuff including the boxes, rolling pin and various counters are STILL red and green.

I bet I went through 12 differnt batches of fondant, a half a bottle of vodka, 6 sheets of plastic for stencils, and used cuss words my husband didnt hear when he worked for the prison, and hasnt heard as a truck driver.

I did want to throw it occasionally, and cussed the dear friend who wanted a 'simple' cake so much that she had her hearing checked, but I restrained myself. Mostly because I had spend more on buying the airbrush in my tiny little town on 5 minutes notice (no research, no competitors, just a directive from my husband to haul butt to town and find one, he was staying home from work for a few hours to help me use it) than I made on the stupid cake!!

I am sorry, But I do sympathize!!

Oh no - I got my airbrush over a month ago, and I haven't had time to play with it yet. I was going to make time this week, but now I may wait a little longer! Was the vodka to mix with, or drink? I may just need it to drink!!!! (and No I am not a a drinker!)

Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:11pm
post #14 of 38

READ MY LIPS (or words on this post...LOL).........I HATE AIRBRUSHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a similar experience just a few days ago! I can never rely on that darn thing!!! I stick to the color mist in the can. Sure it gets a little spotty, but I get the effect I need and it's RELIABLE!!! which is most important!!

HaHa! When my DH sees me pulling the airbrush out to give it another try, he makes sure he and the kids are far, far away. The language gets pretty R-rated when I attempt to use it.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:50pm
post #15 of 38

I'm still learning how to use it as well. One thing I do to keep from coloring the wall or objects nearby is to stand a tri-fold cardboard thing (kids use for school presentations at Michael's for $5) behind my cake. It's great to contain the over spray. It is reuseable and becomes a new graffiti piece after each use! I cover the work surface under my cake stand with newspaper or paper towels too.

Thanks BWB for the website. I'll check it out.

thatslifeca Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:42pm
post #16 of 38

Thanks for the info about the web sites, I'll have to check it out. I don't have the airbrush anymore. Like I said, I smashed it to bits in the drive way, but I am thinking about getting a new one (I love punishing myself).
I've used the can spray ones before, more for giving fondant that little cleam. I like the PME ones. Saw my neighbour this morning, he calmly walks over and asks " everything ok?" icon_biggrin.gif I think, he thinks "great the cake lady next door has lost it."

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:09pm
post #17 of 38

Oh sweetie, I would SO give you a shoulder rub and an ice cold drink if I could!! You really lost it for a sec there, didn't you? And yes, airbrush spray will get EVERYWHERE! Even if you put down protective coverings, it's AIRBORNE!! You will be blowing rainbow snot for several days! I almost crapped the first time I had an electric blue kleenex. Only took a second to figure it out, but that was a scary second!!

The one good thing I've noticed, at least with Americolor airbrush colors, is that they wash out pretty easily. When I get done and my hands look like I just choked the life out of Rainbow Brite, it doesn't take long to wash almost all of it off. Sometimes I kind of like the stained hands... makes me feel creative and artistic. icon_lol.gif

barefootsdesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barefootsdesign Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:12pm
post #18 of 38

I am with you on wanting to learn how to do this, it looks so cool on cakes and when I was ordering mine I would always ask for the design to be airbrushed not done in icing. Something that might help you. When I decided I wanted to know how to do it I talked to a local guy that airbrushes shirts and such and he offered to teach me for a small fee. Maybe you have someone local that is willing to do that for you (after a break and a new airbrush gun <g>icon_wink.gif. HTH

KakesbyK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyK Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:24pm
post #19 of 38

I know how you feel!!~ I have an airbrush but im not very artistic, so I cant do the sharp detail things. I normally use mine to completely cover a cake or use the pearl shimmer~ I also use mine for tie dye cakes! I have a cheap plastic tablecloth that I cover my table with. I also wear gloves and a mask while I am doing it...which I learned the hard way! My hands were different colors for a couple of weeks when I first used it! And everytime I washed off my table I found more color~ But experience has taught me and it has become easier! I am not scared of it anymore so I am going to slowly try new things with it! good luck!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:11am
post #20 of 38

NOOOO!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I am crying for your poor little airbrush.. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif all it takes is time and LOTS of practice. The right airbrush paint, a compressor that has adjustable psi for different mediums.. that poor little compressor!! It wasn't it's fault !! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

But then again.....I can totally relate, I did take my bathroom scale outside, toss it in the air, and shoot it with a 12 guage pump winchester. icon_biggrin.gif it wasnt the scales faught that I hadnt lost weight, but it did make me feel better. icon_lol.gif

hopefully you will give airbrushing another try. But only if you are medicated..say 10 mg valium first... LOL.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:24am
post #21 of 38

[quote="tesso"] But then again.....I can totally relate, I did take my bathroom scale outside, toss it in the air, and shoot it with a 12 guage pump winchester. icon_biggrin.gif it wasnt the scales faught that I hadnt lost weight, but it did make me feel better. icon_lol.gif [quote]

Too funny!

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:54am
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

But then again.....I can totally relate, I did take my bathroom scale outside, toss it in the air, and shoot it with a 12 guage pump winchester. icon_biggrin.gif it wasnt the scales faught that I hadnt lost weight, but it did make me feel better. icon_lol.gif

Shut up! That's hilarious! And so something I would do (but I would have used my Glock)!

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:34am
post #23 of 38

Gee so sorry for you and kinda the airbrush. To possibly avoid a repeat of the death of an airbrush can anyone tell me if a nebulizer can be used for the compressor. I do not have a airbrush and was thinking of buying the pen and ink and trying to use the nebulizer. Will it work??

thatslifeca Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:41am
post #24 of 38

Well it's nice to see that others have problems with their airbrushes also. I just couldn't figure it out. The more I tried the more of a mess I made. The paint did come out of all the cabinets and stuff, and my hands are not too badly stained anymore. Ok so I don't have an airbrush any more right? I was feeling bad that I smashed the poor little thing and telling hubby I was thinking of getting another. Maybe something cheaper so if the urge to smash it again I won't be out too badly. Hubby comes home from where ever and says look I bought you another airbrush. He puts the box on the coffee table and a little bag next to it. icon_confused.gif I asked what was in the back and he said tequilla. The airbrush is yours, tequilla is mine. icon_surprised.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:57am
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

Well it's nice to see that others have problems with their airbrushes also. I just couldn't figure it out. The more I tried the more of a mess I made. The paint did come out of all the cabinets and stuff, and my hands are not too badly stained anymore. Ok so I don't have an airbrush any more right? I was feeling bad that I smashed the poor little thing and telling hubby I was thinking of getting another. Maybe something cheaper so if the urge to smash it again I won't be out too badly. Hubby comes home from where ever and says look I bought you another airbrush. He puts the box on the coffee table and a little bag next to it. icon_confused.gif I asked what was in the back and he said tequilla. The airbrush is yours, tequilla is mine. icon_surprised.gif

icon_biggrin.gif LOL thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:09am
post #26 of 38
Quote:

it wasnt the scales faught that I hadnt lost weight!

It's NOT? Ohhhh, I owe my scale an apology. And now I'm mad at you for ruining my perfectly acceptable excuse! icon_cry.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:01am
post #27 of 38

that is so awesome about the new airbrush.. and the hubby is a definte keeper!! except I think you should take sip or two of the tequila to prevent potential airbrush abuse.. icon_lol.gif

and melvira... I am disappointed that you didnt catch my deliberate pun with the spelling of faught/ instead of fault. icon_sad.gif those scales didnt go quietly into that gentle night.. icon_lol.gif

yes appologize to the scales..then shoot them. icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:29am
post #28 of 38

oh tesso, you can't be upset with me... I took my night time meds and I'm not sure if I'm evenr reaaly typing this or if im in bed makin itup as I go. We'll find out tomorrow!! icon_lol.gif

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:33am
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

Quote:

Shut up! That's hilarious! And so something I would do (but I would have used my Glock)!

Holy shit angry women with guns!! Scariest thing ever!

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:49am
post #30 of 38

This thread is why I absolutely LOVE this site and all of you guys and gals! HILARIOUS!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%