Wires In Flowers

Decorating By Tammy21122 Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 8:54pm by Tammy21122

Tammy21122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammy21122 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 14

Hello fellow CCer's...I am having a heck of a time getting my wires to stay in my rose buds to build the rose. I have watched the tutorials by Edna and I bend the wire back and insert into it with egg white and let it dry. I have tried this for over 24 hours and everytime the wire comes out...please help....suggestions???

Thank you in advance...

13 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 14

Is your wire covered in that clothe stuff?

Fondant/gumpaste both shrink when dried. When I do them on toothpicks they often loosen up and I end up pulling the toothpick out, sticking it in piping gel and sticking it back in the bud. I haven't tried that with wire ones, but if you have a couple you are willing to experiment on, ya might try it.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 14

i wish i could help you know why. I use g/p only with all my flowers. I use sugar glue after making a hook with the wire, etc. I then press a little under the cone to fit the paste to the wire. Just close up the hole. Is this what you are doing. let us know a little more. hth

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 14

I find that once I insert the hooked wire then you need to work the gumpaste down to the wire. Basically until you can no longer really see a hole, just wire. Also, I let mine dry for a couple of days usually before I work on the roses--every time I try to do it the next day I have trouble. hth

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 14

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=622934&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=heat&&start=15

Have you seen this post? Check out the second page where they talk about heating the wire.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 14

Make a hook in the wire (wire wrapped with florists tape or pre covered wire- cloth or paper work best)Make a ball of gumpaste the size you need for your flower center. Dip hooked end of wire in gum glue, tap of excess, insert bottom of wire into a ball of gumpaste and pull through ball of fondant until hook is embedded. Form flower center shape around wire. Since I have been using this method I haven't had any trouble with loose wires.

Tammy21122 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 14

Thank you everyone for your advice...I am going to give it a try this weekend

Tammy21122 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=622934&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=heat&&start=15

Have you seen this post? Check out the second page where they talk about heating the wire.

TexasSugar....I tried this on wires coming out of a cake and it worked great! the gumpaste balls stayed on the end of the wires but I then couldn't get the wires to stay in the cake without trying to fall over icon_cry.gif

I am definitely going to try heating the wire for the rose buds next....thank you for the link

Tammy21122 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:00pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:

TexasSugar....I tried this on wires coming out of a cake and it worked great! the gumpaste balls stayed on the end of the wires but I then couldn't get the wires to stay in the cake without trying to fall over icon_cry.gif

I am definitely going to try heating the wire for the rose buds next....thank you for the link

CillsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CillsCakes Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:34am
post #10 of 14

After bending the wire I always heat it over a flame before I place it in the centre. I have never had a wire fall out when doing it this way.

aussiemags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aussiemags Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:46am
post #11 of 14

I was taught to make a hook and then dip into edible glue then pop that into a flame (candle) then insert this into the gum paste cone hot.

Have neve had a problem with wires moving.

cocoasensations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocoasensations Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:10am
post #12 of 14
Quote:

I've tried what they said and I'm proud to say I did it perfectly... icon_biggrin.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:16pm
post #13 of 14

heating the wire is the only way I do it. never had a decoration come off yet.

Tammy21122 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:54pm
post #14 of 14

How do you keep the curly wires that look like that are exploding out of a cake to stay in without them falling out

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%