Fondarific & Heat

Decorating By moralna Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 3:35pm by Sweet_Guys

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 14

Dear CC Friends -

I have heard some tales that Fondarific does not hold up well at all in heat; for those of you who have worked extensively with Fondarific - can you tell me your experience.

I would like to use it for a wedding cake, but am frightened that it will melt on me.

13 replies
KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 14

I made a large loopy bow as a cake topper. It dried for 8 days, and the shapes were firm, but not dry/hard to touch. It was in AC the whole time. I'd be really afraid to have it at an outside affair.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 14

Fondarific has LOTS more fat in it than regular fondant. The base seems to be a lot like candy melts.

I'd be very leery of using it on a cake that would have to withstand temps above 85 degrees.

JMHO
Rae

moralna Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 14

I will be using it to cover cakes and will be inside, but I guess I was worried about transporting it from the house to the car and then in the car ride which would be about 2 hours.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 14

I just finished using fondarific for this cake

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1736541

Worked on the blocks and duck all week in 90° - 100° weather with 90% humidity and no A/C. I had no problem at at all.

But...if you look at the types of things I made, they were all chosen so I wouldn't have to worry about heat. My policy for July and August is that I don't do big loopy anythings. No gumpaste flowers, only flat cutouts, stable, blocky shapes...preferably no tiers to droop and slide.

I design this way for these two months because I haven't found a fondant or gumpaste yet that can give me both peace of mind and a big loopy bow at the same time in July & August.

moralna Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 14

Artscallion - first of all, your cake is terrific!! I would just be using the Fondarific to cover the cakes, so maybe it might be okay. I am just scared, because it is a wedding cake. I have always used Satin Ice, but with all the problems it has been giving, I am looking to change.

moralna Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 14

Also, can I refridgerate the cake once it is covered in Fondarific?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralna

I will be using it to cover cakes and will be inside, but I guess I was worried about transporting it from the house to the car and then in the car ride which would be about 2 hours.

If the car has working A/C, it should be fine as far as keeping the temp down. For that long a drive, you'll need to make sure that it's not getting direct sunlight from the windows, though.

Rae

moralna Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 14

Perhaps like puttting it in a large box for transport. . .

moralna Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:34pm
post #10 of 14

Also, how does it tint? I need to color it a Tiffany blue. . .

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:47pm
post #11 of 14

This is what they sent me when I emailed them regarding this same issue and using ganache under fondant.
Thank you for your interest in Fondarific! I have not heard of that...but
it sounds like it would work and be wonderfully delicious. I read on your
email that this is an outdoor wedding, Fondarific holds up great up to a
temperature of 125 degrees, but just do not put it into direct
sunlight....it is the ultra violet rays that Fondarific does not like. If
you have any other questions please feel free to call or email us.

Thanks again for your interest in Fondarific,

Laura and Lois
Fondarific
www.fondarific.com
[email protected]
912-232-4410 Office

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 14

Yes it tints just fine and it can be refrigerated. I just made a wedding cake with Fondarific and kept it in the fridge before delivery. No condensation. It does harden the fondant so you would want the cake to sit out for a while before cutting.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:52pm
post #13 of 14

I used it for the ring box cake and it was fine. It was about 90 degrees that day and humidity was high. I cooled the car off and it was in a box to keep the sun off. The driver was about 45 min and it did perfect! I personally love it!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:35pm
post #14 of 14

Fondarific was designed to be used in the heat and humidity of Florida, Georgia, and any state like them.

Yes, Fondarific can be used over a chocolate ganache. We made a three-tier topsy turvy cake following Sharon Zambito's DVD using buttercream, ganache, and Fondarific chocolate.

Paul

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%