Cake Icing Cracked And Not Smooth

Decorating By YummyChoo Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 2:59pm by YummyChoo

YummyChoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyChoo Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 14

I did a cake over the wkend and found the sugarpaste was cracking in areas after a while, any reason why it would do this? or how to stop it from cracking?
Also the cake didnt look smooth, is this to do with my layer of buttercream i put over the tier before i iced it? maybe it was not smooth enough? You could see the layers of cake through the icing?Help please!

13 replies
KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:43am
post #2 of 14

Do you have any pictures?

YummyChoo Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks i have attcahed the picture of the caek, it looked a bit wonky and the layers showed through...

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 14

still no photo icon_sad.gif

YummyChoo Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 14

sorry here it is
LL

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 14

What did you use for supports?

YummyChoo Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:54am
post #7 of 14

i had dowels in each tier about 4/5

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by YummyChoo

i had dowels in each tier about 4/5

I don't know..but looking at your photo it looks like your cake may have shifted..are you sure that you cut your dowels the same length? I always had problems with wooden dowels..hate cutting them. I use straws for my supports. They are so much easier to cut and get the same length....for me anyway. thumbs_up.gif

Maybe someone else can help you with what happened to your cake. If the doweling wasn't the problem I don't know.

marcx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcx Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I use straws for my supports. They are so much easier to cut and get the same length....for me anyway. thumbs_up.gif

+1
Bubble tea straws are a fantastic option if you can find them icon_smile.gif

And it looks like there's a slight bulging issue as well?
Make sure to let your cakes settle!
I'll find the CC thread on how to do this if it helps.

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:39pm
post #10 of 14

I also agree with the 'bulging' but failed to mention in my pp.

YummyChoo Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 4:16pm
post #11 of 14

thanks for the advice guys, when you say let my cake settle do you mean after Ive iced them? leave them overnight? so dont stack them till they have had a night to rest???

marcx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcx Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 7:16pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by YummyChoo

thanks for the advice guys, when you say let my cake settle do you mean after Ive iced them? leave them overnight? so dont stack them till they have had a night to rest???

Actually, I let my cakes settle after I've filled the layers, so even before I crumb coat, I place a tile or a small plate on top of my filled cake and let it settle or sit overnight. What this does is it gives your cake a chance to, how should I say, become one with the filling/icing (for lack of better words). Any excess will bulge out the sides over the next few hours, giving you a chance to scrape it off and smooth it out the next morning, before you put anything else on top (buttercream or fondant)

Then you can crumb coat, throw it in the fridge to firm up, pull it out, do your final coat of buttercream, then either leave it with just the BC or cover it in fondant. This way, your cake isn't settling with the fondant already on top of it, since you've given it the opportunity to settle under its own weight overnight.

icon_smile.gif

YummyChoo Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 9:31pm
post #13 of 14

thanks for the advice on that, I will try this out on the cake this week and let you know how it goes!

YummyChoo Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:59pm
post #14 of 14

hey guys thatnks for all your advice the cake came out perfect, I followed your advice icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%