Fondant Balls

Decorating By Barb00 Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 1:31pm by kansaslaura

Barb00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb00 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 5

How far in advance is it best to make fondant balls to surround bottom perimeter of cake? I have a busy week and a graduation cake for next Saturday. I thought about making the fondant balls and other decoration pieces now so they will be firm later, but is it too early? Do you add tylose to fondant in weather like this? TIA

4 replies
mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 5

I do mine a few days ahead and just use fondant. The kids, and some adults love the eat them.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 5

You can make them now or anytime up until the day before you use them. I do this alot and make up to 3/4" balls, and find they work best if dried overnight. But if I have the opportunity when I'm making other decorations ahead of time, I roll the fondant balls at the same time - sometimes a week or more ahead of time. I always end up with more than I need.... so I started lining them up around the perimeter of a cooking pan. Then I can actually measure how much "border" I have and not over do by so much. Have fun!

Barb00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb00 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you, thank you! I am getting started now.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 5

Agree, they're eaiser to handle once they've dried. Much less chance of denting them.. for a lack of a better word!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%