How Far In Advance Do You Make Your Cakes?

Decorating By tina5160 Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 7:00am by JaeRodriguez

tina5160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tina5160 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:33am
post #1 of 10

If possible I would like to make a cake in advance. It will be for a Saturday Wedding, and will be eaten around 7 or 8pm. I will be buttercream without major decorations, just ribbons around each tier and a few flowers on top. How far in advance can I:
Bake the cakes (with freezing them)?

Ice the cake?

9 replies
hollys_hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollys_hobby Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:47am
post #2 of 10

I tested freezing a cake recently, I had mine frozen for 1 month, double wrapped in plastic wrap, and triple wrapped in foil. It was an 8" so I was also able to put it in a freezer bag. (probably over done, but worked well)
I thawed the cake and it tasted and acted exactly as if I had just baked it!
I am making a wedding cake this coming week and here is my schedule: bake Tuesday, level, torte, fill, crumb coat Wednesday, cover in fondant Thursday, decorate Friday, deliver Saturday.
When I was first told to do this schedule I was so worried my cake wouldn't be fresh, but I have now made several cakes this was (if they are smaller it only takes 2 or 3 days) and they are always so moist. One thing I always do though is bake, cool in pan for 10 minutes, turn onto rack, cool 30 minutes and double wrap in plastic wrap, then let sit OVERNIGHT to settle before leveling, torting, filling or icing!
HTH!!

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:54am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollys_hobby

I am making a wedding cake this coming week and here is my schedule: bake Tuesday, level, torte, fill, crumb coat Wednesday, cover in fondant Thursday, decorate Friday, deliver Saturday.

This is exactly my schedule for a Saturday cake. thumbs_up.gif
If it's not fondant, I bake Wednesday, fill/crumb/ice Thursday, and decorate Friday. If you want to bake tonight or whatever, go ahead and do so and it'll be just fine wrapped & frozen until later in the week.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:47am
post #4 of 10

I rent a kitchen so I don't have that much time..I bake on Monday or Tuesday and then come back on Thursday to fill/crumbcoat and then back again on Friday to finish up for a Saturday delivery. There have been times when I've been working on more than one cake at a time and will bounce from one to the other on Friday....fill crumbcoat one, let settle while finishing up the other, go back to the first one and finish it up...sort of thing.

Cat

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 10

I bake my cakes 3 days before the event. They are just as fresh as day 1.
I do not freeze...

HTH

Michael

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 10

When you follow this type of schedule, what is your preferred filling - i.e. no refrigeration after filling on Thursday? I really appreciate that our experts are so willing to share their know-how on the behind-the-scenes process. Thank you!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 10

I usually bake on Sunday and Monday. Wrap and freeze.

For a Saturday event:
Cakes are prepped on Thursday. Prep = pull out of freezer, (they are already leveled and torted) fill wrap and weight for settling.
Friday - crumbcoat, ice and decorate
Saturday - deliver

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 10

I bake a week in advance too and freeze.

tina5160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tina5160 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:45am
post #9 of 10

This is so much help. People think I am crazy for making my own wedding cake, but I just can't afford to have a nice one unless I make it myself. This way I can have what I want and also be proud because I made it myself.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:00am
post #10 of 10

Post pictures when you're finished! :] Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%