How Much Batter Do You Think Someone Would Need?

Decorating By thatslifeca Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 1:12pm by cattycornercakes

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:32am
post #1 of 11

I got asked this question today and was frumped icon_confused.gif Soooo I thought I would call on the CC community of cakers and see what you all have to say.
Question:

How many boxes of cake would you need to do a 12",10",8" and 6" tiered cake? All cakes torted and filled. Anc they don't want to extend the cake with any fillers.

10 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:47am
post #2 of 11

What shape are the tiers? That will make a difference in how much batter it takes to fill the pans. Are you saying they want just straight box cakes, no add-ins or extenders to make more batter? You will probably need close to 20 boxes of cake mix and that's a rough guess.

thatslifeca Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:56am
post #3 of 11

the cakes are apparently going to be square I believe is what was asked of me. And yes, just good all boxed cake. Ok I do have to confess to 1 thing. icon_redface.gif ..they asked me to do the cake...I quoted the price....not in her budge icon_cry.gif She calls me back and says she's gonna make her own cake...she saw how it's done on youtube...I wished her luck...that's when she asked. I have never made just boxed cake for a wedding before......so I have no idea. All I could tell her was that I thought that a box cake made about 3cups of batter...but I'm not even sure on that.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:18am
post #4 of 11

A box mix makes 4-5 cups of batter but it depends on the brand.
She'll need about 45 cups of batter for those sizes - she should check her box mixes for the amount each one makes and calculate from there.
I'd say at least 12 boxes minimum with a few extras on hand just in case something goes wrong.

Please let us know when she calls you in a panic. icon_twisted.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:21am
post #5 of 11

i think a boxed cake makes 4.5 cups of batter...I wish her luck, too. It's going to take more than You Tube to make a wedding cake. I hope she has a heavy duty stand mixer, because she's going to be mixing a lot of cake mix.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:30am
post #6 of 11

A box mix makes between 4 and 6 cups batter depending not only on the brand but also the flavor.

DH makes 5-6 cups. Golden butter makes 6. White is close to 5 and chocolate about 5.5.

BC and Pilsbury make 4-5 cups. White being on the lower side, chocolate higher.

thatslifeca Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:09am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloChellie

A box mix makes 4-5 cups of batter but it depends on the brand.
She'll need about 45 cups of batter for those sizes - she should check her box mixes for the amount each one makes and calculate from there.
I'd say at least 12 boxes minimum with a few extras on hand just in case something goes wrong.

Please let us know when she calls you in a panic. icon_twisted.gif

Welllll you know I got curious about this youtube instructions on making your wedding cake and sure enough I found one.....buttttt the cake is all ready made...they just show you how to construct the tiers on top of each other...I gotta feeling this bride is calling back...and I think maybe I just might NOT have that date available any more. icon_twisted.gif But now I know how many boxes of cake mix I would need. I am concerned thu..if that's not going to be to soft of a cake to tier...especially the way they show it on the youtube thing.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:25am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

Welllll you know I got curious about this youtube instructions on making your wedding cake and sure enough I found one.....buttttt the cake is all ready made...they just show you how to construct the tiers on top of each other...I gotta feeling this bride is calling back...and I think maybe I just might NOT have that date available any more. icon_twisted.gif But now I know how many boxes of cake mix I would need. I am concerned thu..if that's not going to be to soft of a cake to tier...especially the way they show it on the youtube thing.

My first tiered cake was straight box mix - as long as the cakes are level and she uses the supports correctly, she'll be able to tier box cake.

Of course, this is assuming she knows how to perfectly level all the layers & tiers and knows how to correctly insert the supports. And has the time to bake, level, torte, fill, ice, dowel, stack, and decorate the cakes with her wedding looming. icon_twisted.gif

thatslifeca Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 9:01am
post #9 of 11

My first tiered cake was straight box mix - as long as the cakes are level and she uses the supports correctly, she'll be able to tier box cake.

Of course, this is assuming she knows how to perfectly level all the layers & tiers and knows how to correctly insert the supports. And has the time to bake, level, torte, fill, ice, dowel, stack, and decorate the cakes with her wedding looming. icon_twisted.gif[/quote]

LOL ohhh yes I'm sure she knows all about that icon_wink.gif I'm sure she knows all about sketching out a plan,making the gumpaste roses, applying the ribbon. Well I emailed her and told her that from what I can figure out..she needs to look on the box and find out how many cups of batter that cake mix uses. I also told her that she's lookin to use anywhere from 15 to 20 boxes. Wished her good luck and told her I'm sure she would do just fine. icon_evil.gif hmmmm is that bad.....maybe not..I'm tired our art being refered to as just cake. Then make the &^%%$$ cake, then come tell me my quote was too high!!!! WOW factor don't come cheap.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:44pm
post #10 of 11

It's not the cake that supports the upper tiers, it's the support system. I've baked for over 30 years using straight-from-the-box mixes and they stack just fine. It's not the cake .... it's the support system. You can stack a cake of jello if your support system is ok.

I use Betty Crocker and for a 6/8/10/12 square cake, the number of mixes I'd use for each 2-pans (meaning I'm baking two 6", two 8", etc) are 1/1.5/3/4 for a total of 9.5 (rounded to 10 of course).

And I never measure by cups. (geesh, what a mess and I'm just not taking the time to go thru that!). I measure by boxes. A cake mix is one batch. A 10" round takes one batch (mix). Two 10" rounds take 2 batches (2 mixes). Etc. I fill the pan between 1/2 and 2/3's full and bake.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:12pm
post #11 of 11

Here's a great website someone posted in another thread for calculations:

http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cake_calculator.cgi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%