How Can I Get Expercience??????

Decorating By cookiestn Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 12:04am by KoryAK

cookiestn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiestn Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:58am
post #1 of 10

I don't know if this is the right forum or not but I was wondering from all of you out there that maybe have a business going, how do I get an apprentice going with a cake shop where my skills can grow? I love doing cakes and the creative side of it and I realy feel like it is a passion of mine but I only have somewhat basic skills and I want to learn and grow more but no one will give me the chance. I have been on several interviews and they all say that I have great potential but they are looking for someone with more experience, how do I approach this as it is very disappointing ??? icon_cry.gif

9 replies
MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:13am
post #2 of 10

Well i too have wondered the same thing....i would straight up ask them "how am i going to get the exp. if no one is willing to give me a shot to learn"...i have said that before and got the job, of course that was before i discovered that i LOVE decorating cake... Im not great but i love to do it...and to me thats all that matters.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:21am
post #3 of 10

I'm getting tons of experience just baking for coworkers, friends, family and getting great tips/inspiration (mostly from this site) plus youtube, decorator's blogs, etc...Just keep taking pictures of your progress and eventually a cake shop will be impressed enough to take you on - I'm sure of it - good luckicon_smile.gif

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:24am
post #4 of 10

I just looked at a couple of wedding cake decorator/catering websites in my area, emailed them saying I have a real interest in decorating cakes/cooking and I was willing to work for free for experience. I just started out doing busy work...making tons of BC, making cakes from scratch, learning how to check cakes without toothpicks, coloring fondant and rolling it out, etc. I watched her decorate and helped a little so I learned alot just observing and watching her deal with clients. It was well worth doing it for free!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:27am
post #5 of 10

And when your friends, co workers, and family can't take it any more or have gained to much weight - I moved on to my DDs office, friends, and in-laws!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Fancicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fancicakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:54am
post #6 of 10

I just baked and decorated lots a free cakes at first and took pictures of my work. As I improved, people starting asking if they could buy cakes from me. Now, those first pics are in a scrapbook and the rest are in my portfolios. I use the portfolios to show my skills and give clients ideas and its fun to look back and remember each cake. You can also buy some cake dummies to practice on.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:07am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

And when your friends, co workers, and family can't take it any more or have gained to much weight - I moved on to my DDs office, friends, and in-laws!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Too funny, but true! i'm somewhere inbetween family can't take no more, and inlaws! The true trick is trying not to go broke doing this, buying pans, tools, and supplies! But it's worth it.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:11am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoser24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

Too funny, but true! i'm somewhere inbetween family can't take no more, and inlaws! The true trick is trying not to go broke doing this, buying pans, tools, and supplies! But it's worth it.

Oh man that is sooooooo true. I started this years ago to "save" money and make my daughters wedding cake. Well, I figured It now has cost me well up around $8,000 dollars to make this cake. icon_eek.gif (But I am having fun!!!) icon_biggrin.gif

cookiestn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiestn Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks to all of you for the advice, I have done many cakes and I love to learn new things. I have taken some pictures but not alot. I think I will try to just ask if maybe they would let me just come in and learn some extra tips and maybe, hopefully, later icon_smile.gif on impress them enough that they can't do without me icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:04am
post #10 of 10

internships

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%