Hands Cramping From Coloring Fondant Red...help!

Decorating By BlueBurd Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 4:32am by tavyheather

BlueBurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueBurd Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:10am
post #1 of 13

I think I'm getting carpal tunnel syndrome from attempting to color white fondant red. Why don't they put THAT warning on tubs of fondant? LOL

Seriously, I want a deep, scarlet red fondant - but need in bigger quantity than Wilton sells in their little packs. Not to mention I don't like Wilton Fondant very much. I love Satin Ice, but didn't have the forsight to buy Red (*sigh* What was I thinking?). I don't know if I want to pay for Duff ($$$!) and don't know how it is anyway. No one in town sells colored fondant.

I have used nearly an entire bottle of no-taste red and about a Tablespoon of Christmas Red (both Wilton), but it still looks deep pink at best.

Thanks in advance for any tips. I'm going to soak my arms in Epson Salts now... ouch.gif

12 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:39am
post #2 of 13

You can start by coloring the white fondant pink then add Americolor super red or Wiltons no taste red a few drops at a time until you get a red that's a few shades lighter than what you want. Let it rest for a few days or at least overnight, the color darkens as it sets.

I just saw this tonight; in case the link doesn't take you were I want you to go, it's on page 3 third post down.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=687566&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=30

lilerintron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilerintron Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:45am
post #3 of 13

Do you like making MMF? It's easy and I get the color I want first shot now ever time.

Once the marshmallows are melted I add the coloring, then the PS, start making the fondant. Once it's to the point where I can knead it by hand I lay it on the table, if the color is not dark enough I add some more. Because it is still warm it is very easy to move around and my wrist don't hurt.

I wrap it and let it sit over night and it gets brighter.

BlueBurd Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 13

Thank you all so much - you rock! Sure enough it's darker today.

Fantastic idea about the MMF - I'll do that with my next batch!

Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

Tor1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tor1985 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 13

lilerintron I just started making mmf and love it, colouring it is so easy! Not to mention it's a lot cheaper to make than regualr fondant!

I havent even attempted to make red fondant...too scared to do it yet! I have to order all my stuff online as like you BlueBurd no where near me sells coloured fondant or any cool cake decorating stuff!

Hope you get the colour you want!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 13

I know what you mean. I couldn't get ivory fondant for a wedding and handcolored 10lbs of Fondarific ivory. Not a lot of color needed to be mixed in but it was still a lot of kneading.

I try to do it in manageable size batches and then knead it all together at the end. And when my arms turn to jelly, I get hubby to wash his hands and come help for a few minutes.

caleyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caleyb Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 13

I feel your pain....I spent all last evening trying to make cranberry or candy apple red and got everything but it.....I gave up. So frustrated....on to idea #2, I guess.

hollys_hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollys_hobby Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 13

I had a horrible time last month trying to get red for my daughter's birthday cake, I used SO much wilton red color (the no taste, Christmas, and red red) that it totally changed the texture of my MMF and was un-workable. I broke down and bought Duff's red for the dumptruck cake I did, and it tasted great. In the meantime I ordered a bottle of Americolor super red. Just used it last week to color my MMF for my latest flower cake, and it worked SO well! I am now in LOVE with Americolor!!! icon_smile.gif
And yes, colored MMF will darken after a few hours.

BlueBurd Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 11:56pm
post #9 of 13

Do you use less Americolor than Wilton for similar depth of color?

hollys_hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollys_hobby Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:09am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBurd

Do you use less Americolor than Wilton for similar depth of color?

YES!! Way less!!! and it didn't change the texture of the fondant! icon_smile.gif

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:10am
post #11 of 13

I add quite abit of burgundy to the red-red in order to get more color depth. It definitely changes color and darkens up after it's had a chance to sit awhile.

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:40am
post #12 of 13

Duff's fondant is made by Satin Ice.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:32am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by retaunton

Duff's fondant is made by .

I believe it's by fondarific........

Quote by @%username% on %date%