Help Needed Deciding

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 11:04pm by rainbow_kisses

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:55am
post #1 of 10

I have a bride thats decided on the cake below. Today I am planning to buy the drums, ribbons etc.. but I am not sure how big I should buy the cake drums. Usually I would have bought them 2" larger than the actual cake but I will need to rest fresh roses on them. Is 2" big enough or should I have a drum 3" larger than the cake? Also, I will be purchasing the diamonte pieces from the florist which has them on a pin. For health and saftey issues, how would I place this into the cake? Also, the customer wants the ribbon on the base of the tiers and the ribbon on the side of the drum to be all in ivory. Shall I use the same ribbon or should the ribbon on the cake be thinner? how do I attach the ribbon on the drum? Please can someone get back to me as soon as possible as I am leaving the house in a few hours..
http://www.londoncake.com/images/Wedding/W000788%20Diamond%20Shaped%20Wedding%20Cake%20on%20Chrome%20Stand%20with%20Sugar%20Flowers.jpg

9 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 10

I think i would do a thinner ribbon on the cake if you can get a matching one. If not then you could do the same one and if need be cut it in half if you don't like the looks of it.

Those boards look to be 4inches larger to me.

As far as the diamonds being on pins, depends on what the pins look like, if they are straight pins, what i would do is use a coffee stirrer, don't know if you have them available there. But here they are very thin plastic straws that could be inserted into the cake then filled with icing, so the pin holds the diamond would cover the hole that the straw would make in your fondant.

OR you could dip the straight pin end in white chocolate and insert it that way.

Good luck its a very pretty cake.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 10

Could you really dip the pin in chocolate and make it safe?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 10

It will make it safe because only the chocolate will come in contact with the cake NOT the metal of the pin, you could also put the pin inside a tiny coffee straw, but then you have to potentially pick out a straw if it comes off the pin (I prefer the chocolate for this method)

If using fresh roses, figure out about how large they'll be. The roses in the pic. are not nearly as large as fresh roses. You may need the cake board at least 6" larger than the cake itself (which allows 3" all around)

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCakeCrazy

I have a bride thats decided on the cake below. Today I am planning to buy the drums, ribbons etc.. but I am not sure how big I should buy the cake drums. Usually I would have bought them 2" larger than the actual cake but I will need to rest fresh roses on them. Is 2" big enough or should I have a drum 3" larger than the cake? Also, I will be purchasing the diamonte pieces from the florist which has them on a pin. For health and saftey issues, how would I place this into the cake? Also, the customer wants the ribbon on the base of the tiers and the ribbon on the side of the drum to be all in ivory. Shall I use the same ribbon or should the ribbon on the cake be thinner? how do I attach the ribbon on the drum? Please can someone get back to me as soon as possible as I am leaving the house in a few hours..
http://www.londoncake.com/images/Wedding/W000788%20Diamond%20Shaped%20Wedding%20Cake%20on%20Chrome%20Stand%20with%20Sugar%20Flowers.jpg

I always attach my ribbons on the drums with a hot glue gun.
And I don't think I'd use pins to stick in the sides of the cake. that's a lot of pins! Can you not buy crystals and 'glue' them with RI or BC?

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 10

Sounds scary to me dipping a pin in chocolate and inserting into cake. Will the person cutting know to remove and they are not edible? But then again I have never used these maybe it is common knowledge?

MissCakeCrazy Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I'll try the chocolate method. I have clearly staed in their order form / invoice that it is their responsibilty to instruct the caterers to remove all diamonte pins before serving the cake.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 10

Anchor the pin in the coffee stirrer with royal icing, so it's more stable.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 10

I don't think we have those type of coffee stirrers in the UK. Someone told me posy picks come in different sizes and I can get a small one (small enough for a diamonte)

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 10

You could use the tiny thin straws that come with kids cup drinks. they are red and should be easily seen in teh cake but thin enough to just hold the pin in to the cake with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%