Goodbye Cake Supplies

Decorating By ttehan4 Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 7:17pm by metria

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:10am
post #1 of 15

I have been cleaning out the excess this week! I can actually see the tabletops in the basement now.

I had recently bought out a bakery and a ton of other stuff at a bakery auction and it was all taking over my basement! My husband has been sitting in the middle of it all in his favorite chair watching tv. I felt sorry for him... well kind of..lol and decide it was time to purge the excess!

I actually feel good about the progress I have made with it all. Alot of it is stuff I will probably never use or stuff that there is a million and one of so I am getting rid of the extra! Yeah Me!

Giving up cake stuff is hard..lol! Wish me luck!

14 replies
KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:15am
post #2 of 15

It's hard to resist those bargains at auction, isn't it ! I've been going for about a month and always come home with more than I planned on !
My garage is filled to the brim right now, lol ! Good luck with your purging !

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:25am
post #3 of 15

Oh Wow! Kudos to you for purging. My attic is full to the brim, I keep saying to myself "maybe one day i'll need that", or "the minute I get rid of it I'll need it". So, I am becoming a cake decorating supply hoarder icon_surprised.gif)

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:27am
post #4 of 15

Oh, I love a good bakery auction. The last one I went to i got new unopened cases of cake boards all shape and sizes. I have been using them for three years now. When the Auction ended and the auctioneer said you get all those and pointed to about 25 cases some opened most not. I had to call my FIL to bring a truck.
When I got them home the ones that were opened Some were yellowed from sunlight. I donated to the local sherrifs office they use them for target practice.

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:24am
post #5 of 15

WOW! I need to find a bakery auction. Sounds awesome!

totallycaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
totallycaked Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:33am
post #6 of 15

I love a deal... whether I need it or not icon_smile.gif How do you find out about them?

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:51am
post #7 of 15

When we bought our house many moons ago, we wanted a house with whats called an inlaw suite here in Cananda (simply means the basement is like a little 1 bedroom apartment). The deal was that hubby would get the bedroom for his office and I can have the rest as my baking area and supply area. He put a sign on the door of the basement that read WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF BAKING AND CAKE SUPPLIES.......since my babies are grown and moved out I've been trying to talk him into giving me that space also.....about a few days ago I got home and the sign on the basement door was changed to YOU WIN CAKE LADY.....YOU OWE ME A CAKE. Wooohoo more space means more stuff icon_smile.gif

ttehan4 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 15

We have been planning on turning the basement in to my little bakery, well not so little, our basement is huge! If I can get rid of some of this stuff it just might get to happen.

I think I am a cake supply hoarder too...lol!

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 15

My dh is getting a truck load of stuff to take the metal scrap yard and said that if I would let him take all of my cake pans that he would have a whole truck load with just them!!LOL

ttehan4 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:43pm
post #10 of 15

I have racks and racks of pans too! My mom now adds to my collection. Anytime that she is out she brings me cake decorating stuff! Not that I am complaining, but she is now buying me wedding stuff too! LOL! Last week I got hankies and some little do dads that you stick your place cards to. I do think I will use those when I do shows. I thought I could attach the card with the info for each cake to it.

I have been going through boxes and boxes of Lucks Sugar pieces for the last hour. I have so many of these I never even knew what I had. I am saying goodbye to them as I go..lol!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:44pm
post #11 of 15

Kudos to you! I'm working myself up to getting rid of some shaped pans myself. I've never used them, dobut I will, but there is that little thought in my head that says just maybe.

ttehan4 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:48pm
post #12 of 15

I got rid of probably 75 character pans last year. I bought almost all of them from one lady for a 1.00 each. I kept the ones my boys wanted to make and got rid of the rest. I made a pretty penny.. of course to buy other cake stuff..lol!

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:39pm
post #13 of 15

I think A&E needs a new show.......THE CAKE DECORATING HOURDER!!! icon_biggrin.gif I bet it would get lots of viewers. We are a special breed I think. I admire anyone who can get rid of and sort thru what they don't use. I just can't bring myself to do it. Every little thing I pick up............I look at and say "nope your staying" LOL

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:00pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttehan4

I got rid of probably 75 character pans last year. I bought almost all of them from one lady for a 1.00 each. I kept the ones my boys wanted to make and got rid of the rest. I made a pretty penny.. of course to buy other cake stuff..lol!

I ebayed alot of them, have some old pans that I just had to have. Then picked the rest up at Michaels with coupons.

I'm probably going to keep holiday related one since you can do other stuff than just cakes in them, and probably several of the 3d ones. But I was thinking the other night, when will I ever do a flat shaped dino out of stars?

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:17pm
post #15 of 15

for everyone getting rid of cake supplies, don't forget:

if you don't need to make a buck, try donating them to "free cakes for kids". there may be a chapter close to your area.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%