Help!!! I'm About To Pull Out My Hair

Decorating By TPACakeGirl Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 2:03pm by leah_s

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:51am
post #1 of 7

I have a Survivor cake that has to be delivered on Saturday morning. I made the palm trees ahead of time so that they could dry. I made approx. 14 of them, but I only needed 5. I figured I would make extra in case any broke. Well, 11 of them have broken and I think the remaining three may also.

My question is, does anyone know where I can get some plastic palm trees stat or what else would look good on the cake instead?

6 replies
kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:58am
post #2 of 7

How did you make the palm trees?

Try using pretzel rods (you can wrap in brown fondant or leave naked if you want) and do fondant/gumpaste leaves. You can try going to a cake supply store, or AC Moore I discovered has better plastic toy crap over Michael's, Target, Dollar Tree, or Walmart. Yes, I too was once on the hunt for plastic palm trees (and dinosaurs).

Anyway, if you go with the pretzel rod route, you should have time to make more.

Children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Children Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:22am
post #3 of 7

Try party america or party galaxy....possibly hobby lobby. HTH.

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:35am
post #4 of 7

You would have plenty of time to make them out of modeling chocolate. I would as another poster suggested use pretzel rods as the base with the molded chocolate over it. You wouldn't have to but it would help.

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:14am
post #5 of 7

I don't have any modeling chocolate. I originally wrapped wooden dowels in chocolate fondant for the trunks. The trunks are great. I made the leaves from fondant and then used royal icing to attach them. The leaves were fragile and either broke off or fell off and then broke.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 7

Make more leaves but out of gum paste. NOT fondant. The gum paste should hold it's shape.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 7

ditto. Fondant isn't made for leaves suspended in air like that. Gumpaste is strong. Or try 50/50.

I usually mash RKT into a trunk shape, then cover in choc fondant. The top is nice and flat for attaching the leaves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%