Just A Simple Cake?

Decorating By StacyR Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 4:14pm by StacyR

StacyR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyR Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:07am
post #1 of 6

I have someone asking for the elusive "simple cake." She wants a 4 tier plain white cake for 180 people that she can add ribbon and flowers to herself. Would you lower your standard price for this or not? There's so much work in everything that leads up to and includes stacking a 4 tier cake that I'm hesitant to reduce it. Am I being stingy since there's isn't any decorating after stacking? Since I'm not decorating it, it doesn't allow me the benefit of placing flowers to hide my mishaps either! lol

I'm just worn out with the request for "just a simple cake."

Thanks for your insight and opinions!

Stacy

5 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:20am
post #2 of 6

I think those "just a simple white cake that I can decorate with ribbon and flowers myself" are the worst. Your bc/fondant has to be perfectly smooth. Perfectly level. Because there's nothing to cover any imperfections.

Duff mentioned this in an old episode once. He had to make an MRI machine and he said those are the worst. There's no way to cover up a mistake.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 6

Give me a decorated cake any day! I would not lower my price because of the exacting frosting job that would have to be done.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

Am I being stingy since there's isn't any decorating after stacking?

The ability to bake, fill, ice, and stack a perfectly level, perfectly smooth 4-tier cake IS "decorating". Once I get to this point with a cake, the actual embellishments usually only take a few minutes. I would charge full price, and feel very comfortable doing it.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 6

How about if you offer to bake the cakes, and make the buttercream, she can assemble the rest, it's simple right?. I know I'm being mean, but really there is nothing simple about a 4 tiered cake.

Now if she wants 4 bundt cakes with icing glaze poured over them, that would be simple. Not a 4 tiered stacked cake.

StacyR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyR Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks! I quoted her a full price and I do feel comfortable with it. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the support here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%