Would You Accept This Order?

Decorating By -Tubbs Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 6:32pm by -Tubbs

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:23am
post #1 of 17

I'm going on vacation, out of the country, for two weeks in August, and have had a customer email me wanting a cake and cookies for the day after I'm due back. I told her I would only be back the day before her event (big christening), and would need to bake and freeze before leaving. She was fine with that, so I quoted her high enough to make it worth my while to be decorating jet-lagged. icon_biggrin.gif

Now she's upped the numbers to a 118 serving cake and 130-150 cookies and I'm feeling a bit panicky about it. I will arrive back around lunchtime on the Saturday and would need to defrost, stack and decorate the cake (fondant). I was thinking I would torte, fill and crumbcoat the cake before freezing, plus colour all the fondant before I leave. Really I would love to completely decorate before freezing - will that work or will it be a melty mess? It's several bright colours in a striped effect. The cookies I was thinking would have to be completely decorated before I leave, and frozen.

I really would like this order, as it's a big one! Also the family are part of a wealthy group who I would like to get in with. Plus the cake design is lovely and something I would like to have in my portfolio.
Would you do it? Any tips or suggestions? Thanks!

16 replies
lis73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lis73 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:54am
post #2 of 17

Ask yourself this, what are the chances you won't make it back in time? Plans change, things come up. You don't want to back yourself into a corner. Just a thought.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:02am
post #3 of 17

hate this dilemma, this weekend I am going out of town (only for 1 1/2 days) but have cake orders too I'm going to have to start early & then work my butt off to complete. is there anyway you could come back 1 day early? I hate to turn down large, well-paying orders too!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:39am
post #4 of 17

oh wow! I would never accept an order right after vacation icon_sad.gif a lot of times you need a vacation AFTER the vacation. All that traveling leaves you jet lagged and needing a break from traveling. What happens if you get sick as soon as you are coming back? or if you get delayed or stuck somewhere? I would say this is a big risk to take on this order...so sorry

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:59am
post #5 of 17

If one of the reasons you would like to take this order is to impress this family group, I would re-think it. What if your flight is delayed and they get left without a cake or cookies? What if you get sick, or are just so worn down you don't make the deadline? What if the cake is damaged in the freezer, or the cookies do not taste as well because they've had to sit so long. Just some things to think about. It sucks, I've had to turn down big orders for the same reasons. Good luck figuring it all out!

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:14am
post #6 of 17

You will not enjoy your vacation because you will be worrying about this job.... and you will no be in your best disposition, do not take it. Wait for the next time, it will come.
Good luck,
CIAO

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:28am
post #7 of 17

I have had this happen many times...Its always could you do a simple cake for 40 people, I say sure, not too much work. Then it all changes. I need a cake for 150 now, and could you make gumpaste roses, and could each tier be a different flavor, with different fillings. They know this is just a hobby with me, and I could easily say it will be too much work, and I don't want to do it. But they always just want a small cake, very simple...
I think if it were me, I wouldn't want to do the cake right after vacation, I would have it on my mind the whole time, wouldn't be able to relax.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:35am
post #8 of 17

I myself wouldn't take the order. Like others have said what if you don't make it back in time or you don't feel well. Do you have someone else that is able to help you? As for the cookies decorated and frozen I don't know how well they would taste or how well they will thaw. The cake would be fine. What if the cookies don't taste good then you might receive negative feedback. I turned down a wedding cake last weekend. The lady asked me on Wednesday for a cake on Saturday. I told her that she didn't give me enough notice and I was sorry but I couldn't take the order. In the end the decision is yours and if you think you can get everything done in time for the event. I usually find that it takes me longer than I think even if I plan so I would be afraid to take this one. Hope it all works out.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:28pm
post #9 of 17

personally there is no way I would take the order. there are too many circumstances that could prevent you from even being able to do the cake.

1. if flying..plane delay or mechanical delay
2. if car.. car problems or wreck on interstate and stuck for hours.
3. total exhaustion!! especially if you have kids.

If you are wanting to get in good with these people then taking a very realistic chance that you wont beable to provide the cake/cookies is not the best way. I would rather disappoint them now, and have a future order later. explain to them that you dont want to run the risk of ruining their day. that you would rather be able to concentrate fully an order.

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:56pm
post #10 of 17

Since we don't know the design on the cake, only you know if you can torte, fill, cover, stack and decorate the cake and turn out a great product in time for your client. (keeping in mind possible delays).

If you can turn out a great finished project, earn the respect of the client and the attention of their guests (future business) then go for it. BUT...if you turn out less than your best...everything you are trying to achieve will be for nothing.

Possibly team up with a "helping hand" or locate another local baker that you can refer out the cookies to.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:19pm
post #11 of 17

Absolutely not and I can think of several reasons. The number one reason being delayed flights. You may not even BE home by the time this order is due. That alone is reason enough not to even consider taking the order.

For example...the last time that I flew to Alaska I had several delays. My arrival time in Fairbanks was pretty close to the scheduled time...BUT...the trip home was exhausting. Flew from Fairbanks to Salt Lake City, UT.....where my flight was delayed for over 6 1/2 hours. THEN after finally making it to DFW where I was to make my last connecting flight home (a 45 minute flight) I had another 7 hour delay! SO...like I said you may not even BE home in time to deliver the order.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #12 of 17

Ditto on the no.

If you REALLY wanted to do this order, is there a way to rearrange your vacation plans?

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:40pm
post #13 of 17

Hi ~ The schedule you provided cuts it very close. (And the order changes aren't exactly helping. icon_wink.gif ) If this order means that much to you and you don't want to pass it up, see if you can cut your vacation short a couple days, even if it means just you coming home whilst the rest stay on. That's what I would do. Or, not take the order. As someone else mentioned, it sounds like you're putting yourself in a situation where you won't even enjoy your vacation as you should, because you'll be stressing about all you have to accomplish on the day of your return. Best of luck to you and let us know what you decide. icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:41pm
post #14 of 17

If you have freezer space, I'd say completely decorate before freezing. Then, upon arriving home, place them in the fridge. The next morning, place them on the counter to finish acclimating. Have all finishing doodads already made and ready to be placed on the cake...done.

I would share with her your intentions and suggest she have a plan B should you be delayed for any reason. Or, if there's someone you can rely on to remove them from freezer to fridge should you be delayed. You could call her should there be a problem so that she can put into action her plan B.

-Tubbs Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 2:35pm
post #15 of 17

Thank you all for your replies. This is food for thought indeed.
I'll let you know what I decide. Thanks again!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:12pm
post #16 of 17

Just wanted to say...

when I said completely decorated, I meant with the exception of any doodads, like figures or flowers. Those to be placed on after it's rested on the counter for a bit on that Sunday.

I have one in my gallery, Thoughts of Mama (blue,3 tier, tilted cups with flowers and figures), that was done just that way without issues.

-Tubbs Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:32pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Just wanted to say...

when I said completely decorated, I meant with the exception of any doodads, like figures or flowers. Those to be placed on after it's rested on the counter for a bit on that Sunday.

I have one in my gallery, Thoughts of Mama (blue,3 tier, tilted cups with flowers and figures), that was done just that way without issues.

Wow! That cake is GOERGEOUS!
Thanks for a different view of things. This is exactly what I would do, if I decide to take the order. Flight delays are my biggest worry, since I'm travelling to Europe where that pesky volcano is. However, I do have back-up in the form of friends and family whom I cound trust to remove the items from the freezer, defrost and stack the cake, and transport the order, if necessary.

I need to make a decision soon, as she's waiting for an answer....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%