Faux Ice Cream

Decorating By CakesByJen2 Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 7:51pm by PattyT

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a groom's cake next week with an ice cream theme, including a round cake to look like a tub of ice cream, with a half-ball cake next to it to look like a bowl of ice cream with toppings.

I'm trying to decide how to do the scoops of ice cream in the bowl. I could just do mini-ball cakes covered in icing, but I remember the cake Susan O'Boyle Jacobson did for the FN Candy castles compeition right before she passed away had turrets topped by scoops of "ice cream". I remember she developed a technique for making them, so that she ended up with a material that scooped and looked just like ice cream and was stable under the hot lights, but I can't for the life of me remember just what she used. Does anyone else know?

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 7

She melted candy melts and then added some water slowly to seize them a bit and then used an ice cream scoop.

Rae

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks! That was what I was guessing, but I couldn't remember and wondered if she added something else that would keep it somewhat soft, like ice cream. So I guess it's just a matter of how much water to add, and timing when to scoop?

The other thing I was considering is just using chilled buttercream. That would probably scoop similar to ice cream. Hmmm, would people rather have giant blobs of icing, giant blobs of candy melts, or less realistic iced miniball cakes...?

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

She melted candy melts and then added some water slowly to seize them a bit and then used an ice cream scoop.

Rae

or White chocolate, I saw it once on a food network challange.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 7

I just saw the siezed chocolate technique on an older episode of Ultimate Cake Off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByJen2

The other thing I was considering is just using chilled buttercream. That would probably scoop similar to ice cream.

I saw this technique on the food stylists episode of Challenge. They had to make "photographable" food and used really stiff buttercream to look like scoops of ice cream.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 7

I also remember seeing cookies that looked exactly like scoops of ice cream

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByJen2

The other thing I was considering is just using chilled buttercream. That would probably scoop similar to ice cream. Hmmm, would people rather have giant blobs of icing, giant blobs of candy melts, or less realistic iced miniball cakes...?

I did buttercream "ice cream" for a pickles-and-ice cream theme presentation at work. For the pink strawberry version, I just used a little ice cream scoop then pressed down to create that ice cream edge. Used SMBC on these 'cause it was a short meeting, lots of air conditioning in the room. Maybe indydebi's butter cream would work for better stability.

When people ate them they took a bit of buttercream off the top, then bit into the cone from the bottom! Yum!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%