Ice Cake When A Piece Broke Off Top Layer

Decorating By Michelle7573 Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 5:36pm by Michelle7573

Michelle7573 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle7573 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 1:21am
post #1 of 7

How do I hide with icing a top piece broke off when turning it over from the pan? The teacher had said 10 minutes to cool off before taking out of bake pan and it was still kind of hot but I didn't want the cake to stick tothe pan so I timed it and took it out exactly after letting it cool for 10 minutes. icon_sad.gif

6 replies
nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 1:34am
post #2 of 7

of course not knowing how big of a piece it was, like a whole corner or sort of the middle stuck ? You can hide almost anything with a coat of buttercream. Use it as "glue" to repair the damage, let it sit and crust over, then do your crumb coat using a little heavier on the broken spot. Then when you are ready for top layer it should be fixed. I hope it is just a little piece and easliy fixable for you!! And that 10 min thing would depend on the size of your cake too. 10 min for a half sheet, and 10 mins for a 6" are two different things! I usually wait until it feels pretty cool before turning out. And make sure your pan is coated well with "bakers Secret" or equivilent. Good luck. Keep us posted!!! thumbs_up.gif

Michelle7573 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 1:39am
post #3 of 7

Thank you =) I will try it! And next time I will leave it longer than the 10 minutes. Good advice!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 1:47am
post #4 of 7

Is it small enough that if you level the cake you'll eliminate most of the missing piece?

But if you have the piece stuck inthe pan, you can try "glueing" it back to the cake with buttercream then icing a little more thickly over it.

Michelle7573 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 3:29am
post #5 of 7

Thank you all. It worked!! The cake looked great! No one could tell that there was a part that came off......you all are awesome!

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:21pm
post #6 of 7

Picture! Picture! icon_biggrin.gif

Michelle7573 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 7

Im new on here . Where's the attachment button?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%