Is It Safe To Eat These Cakes?

Decorating By SugarNSpiceDiva Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 3:30pm by Melvira

SugarNSpiceDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:53am
post #1 of 9

OK so this is a little embarrassing. icon_redface.gif lol. I made three cakes for my girls, b/c they have been begging me to let them decorate their own cakes. So, I baked three 6" cakes, cut em in half, crumb coated, covered in fondant and added a couple things to make them look like purses. Well we've been busy today, so to keep em safe, I stashed em in the oven...I'm sure you can see where this is going. icon_rolleyes.gif

So, I go to turn on the oven, b/c I'm going to make some baked chicken for dinner, and go about my business. Well, the minute I hear the buzzer going off to tell me the oven was preheated, I remember OMG the cakes are in there! thumbsdown.gif So real quick, I took them out the oven. They don't seem to have suffered too much damage. The fondant ribbons on the bottoms started to slide and I think it might have expanded a little from the heat. But besides that, they are pretty in tact, considering the circumstances. They were in there long enough for the oven to heat to 350.

So my question is are these still safe to eat? Or should I apologize to my kids, and re bake them?

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated by all of us! Thank you! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:07am
post #2 of 9

They may not look as pretty, but I'm sure you can still eat them...why not? They can't spoil...so grab a fork and glass of milk icon_biggrin.gif

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:24am
post #3 of 9

lol, no you're fine.

What you need to worry about are things that aren't already baked...don't think there are many things that you can over-cook and get sick from icon_wink.gif

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:57am
post #4 of 9

Sounds like something I'd do. Hope you and your girls have a great time together decorating those cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

ElmwoodHero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElmwoodHero Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:18am
post #5 of 9

there fine icon_biggrin.gif your fondant may be a little hard when it cools down though

SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:19am
post #6 of 9

Whew! Thank goodness! lol. Thank you all SO very much. I was really worried I was about to have three upset little ladies on my hands. lol.

I love them so much tho. Even after they realized I had baked them AGAIN, they looked at em and my 6 year old said, "It's ok mom. They're still pretty." And my oldest, the 8 year old, and little caker in training said, "Oh mom! That's not so bad. We'll just put decorations where the mistakes are." icon_biggrin.gif lol. That's kind of embarrassing, b/c that means she has seen me cover up enough mistakes to know that's what you do. lol. But at least she knows. And the 3 year old only cares about cake, not what it looks like. lol.

Thank you all so much again! They are so excited to decorate them and take pictures with em to send to their grandparents. And of course...eat them. Ha ha.

Lesson learned..............check. lol.

SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:41am
post #7 of 9

ElmwoodHero- You're right. The fondant is a little hard. I'll let em go ahead and taste it anyway, and if they don't like it, then they can decide if they want me to bake some more. lol. As long as I'm not feeding em something that will make em sick, they can decide if the taste is up to standards or not. lol. But then again, I should probably be prepared. My kids are some serious cake snobs. lol.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 9

Where's the pictures? Love to see them!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 9

Ohhhhh do I know your pain!! Except mine was a tray of about 200 BC roses for a wedding cake that I had painstakingly spent the day before making. Grrrrrrrrrrrr! That was a LONG day!! I'd love to see them too if you feel like posting a pic. I have boys, so I don't get to do the girly stuff. We still manage to have fun though! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%