How Do I Create Scallops On A Two-Tone Cake

Decorating By mag4jesus Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 12:16am by mag4jesus

mag4jesus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mag4jesus Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 5

I have just seen this fabulous picture posted of a two colour tone cake. The top covering has scallops all around. How do i achieve this look?

Here is the link to the cake i am referring to - http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1727617.

Many thanks

4 replies
Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 5

It looks to me like you would need to cut a paper template of the circumference of the tier - cut a strip of parchment paper to fit around your cake. Fold it in half lengthways, then fold into three, creasing well. Cut from one edge to th other to create the scallop...either use this to cut a sheet of fondant to lay around, or fix it to the cake and 'scribe' the scallops into the fondan - you can then pipe or add garret frills to the scribed line...Hope that's useful, I'm sure you'll get lots of responses on this

mag4jesus Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for getting back to me. I guess my question wasn't very clear as I meant how do i get the second colour fondant on top of the already covered cake and have that scallop design on it. Does anyone have a template for this scallop design?

Many thanks

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 5

When I do this style, I don't add the second color to the top. I cover the entire cake with the top color, then wrap the second color around the side. I guess it would be considered the 'reverse scallop'. Much easier, IMO.

To do this, after covering the cake with the top color, wrap a piece of paper around the cake and cut to the exact circumfrence. Fold the paper in half, half again, then half again. With paper folded, cut out your scallop. You can use a round cutter or a glass as a template to ensure your scallop is perfectly uniform.

Open up your paper. Just like paper dolls! Roll out the bottom color and cut using your paper template. Wrap this around the cake. If your fondant is hard to handle, roll it out on a piece of vinyl or wax paper with the lightest smear of shortening. After cutting out the fondant, lift the paper or vinyl with fondant still stuck to it up against the cake. Peel away the paper/vinyl.

mag4jesus Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:16am
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much Diane LM. You've made my day - your explanation has helped a lot and thinking about it, i think your method is a lot easier than trying to do it the other way round.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%