Cake Decorating Party

Business By mom23boys Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 12:04am by mouse13

mom23boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom23boys Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 16

Hello everyone,
I've just been asked if I would do a cake decorating party for their child's birthday. I'd bring the cakes and supplies and show them how to decorate a cake. Sounds like fun to me. Any idea on how to price it????
Thanks!
Jane

15 replies
WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 16

Figure out how much per hour you want for your time -- that's the biggest cost.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 16

How about a cupcake decorating party? That would be less expensive. This is what one of the local places charge.

Decorating Party

* Drinks included
* Buttercream and fondant decorating techniques
* Frost, decorate and eat 2 jumbo cupcakes
* $17.99 /person + $19.99 per assistant

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 16

Here is info. on mine, but I do mostly adults at the parties and actual teach them cake decorating techniques (the do more giggling than learning sometimes but they have fun) It's really popular for bachelorette parties, bridal showers, slumber parties (adult), or just a bunch of girlfriends wanting something to do on a Saturday night!

I'm still working out pricing for a kids party.......but plan to do something to the effect of

Birthday child's parents pay flat rate of $50 an hour, each kid pays $5/each to cover cost of materials. Minimum 10 kids. Maybe offer them cupcakes instead of cakes and also have a selection of premade buttercream flowers, sprinkles, etc.

Most parents would be happy to throw me out after an hr. (which sounds good to me too!) but yet even an hr. and I'll have $100 and probably will spend an hr. baking cupcakes and filling bags, piping flowers beforehand. Not too shabby!

mom23boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom23boys Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 16

KHalstead,
What do you charge for adult parties? I've had two inquiries. One was for a kids party (decorating 6" rounds), and one is an adult party.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 16

I've been thinking of doing something like this, too. I can't make money on cakes because I can't bake from home legally in my state and this would be a way to get some extra hobby $ icon_smile.gif.

I'm leaning towards adults, maybe kids 12 and over. $15 per person with a 5 person minimum. I provide decorating bags, tips, tools, STORE-BOUGHT frosting, gumpaste, fondant; HOSTESS provides 3 or 4 cupcakes per person. In 1 1/2 to 2 hours show them how to make 3 or 4 different cupcakes.

I still have research to do but I think I'd be OK since I won't be selling anything, using all store-bought products (I could even bring the stuff in it's original packaging), and the cupcakes wouldn't be baked by me. Whether the hostess bakes them herself or whether she has her guests bring their own wouldn't matter to me.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 16

I do cake decorating for 4-H.. they decorate a 6" rounds (single layer) or 4 cupcakes.....they pay 3.00 per class...I just break even... (I'm not in it for a profit with the kids).. KHalstead has the price pretty close....and you are right 1/2 hour to 45 minutes are my classes and that is just about right.

KHalstead Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 16

Here's what I have for the kids parties:

http://www.freewebs.com/khalstead/kidsdecoratingparties.htm

KHalstead Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23boys

KHalstead,
What do you charge for adult parties? I've had two inquiries. One was for a kids party (decorating 6" rounds), and one is an adult party.

I charge $15/person for a 1hr. session and $25/person for a 2 hr. session.

This is for a mini cake (4" round/square single layer), if they want a bigger cake it's extra ($1.00/serv. more)

I give them 3 icing colors, icing to frost the cakes, and spend the first half of the class doing an instructional, teaching technique...the last half is spent with them decorating.

This IS an actual cake decorating class, much like a wilton 1 class...buttercream basics, few flowers, some borders, etc.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 16

Tina---- cheap, cheap, cheap... I'd come!!! Great deal at $25 per hour and $5 a kid. icon_biggrin.gif

Love it...

KHalstead Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 8:08pm
post #11 of 16

actually the $25/person is for 2 hours! lol

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:55pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23boys

Hello everyone,
I've just been asked if I would do a cake decorating party for their child's birthday. I'd bring the cakes and supplies and show them how to decorate a cake. Sounds like fun to me. Any idea on how to price it????
Thanks!
Jane

I offer cake decorating parties...

visit my site at www.cakes-divine.com. click on Classes information menu bar for information.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:00pm
post #13 of 16

OMG. Just realized that when I updated my website this weekend that I totally removed the booking form for parties...LOL! If this question hadn't come up and me actually look at my site I would have never realized that the form was missing and the click link was going to the wrong page....YIKES. Gotta fix that when I get home...LOL!

Oh I charge a minimum of $120 and $12 for each additional child over the first 10 for kid parties.

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 9:30pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

How did you make that party order form on your website for the kids party? that is nice.

KHalstead Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 10:58pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

How did you make that party order form on your website for the kids party? that is nice.

I made it using a series of forms on freewebs, it's part of what you can choose from if you have a website through them. HTH (if you use freewebs/webs dot com for your site I'd be glad to pm you with a step by step)

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 12:04am
post #16 of 16

Thank you Kalstead, as soon as I asked you that question, I figured it on on freewebs..lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%