Daisy Cutters - Reviews/recommendations?

Decorating By Marla84 Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 4:17pm by AlanT

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 5

Hello-
I am looking for some large daisy or gerbera daisy cutters, and am hoping to find some advice on which type work the best. I have the set that comes in the new Wilton gum paste and fondant student kit and am really disappointed with them - they are just not sharp enough to give a clean cut. I have looked at the plunger type cutters as well as the metal cutters on the global sugar art website, but am having a hard time deciding what to buy. Any recommendations?

Also, are there any plans to add a review/rating link to the actual products on global sugar art? I would LOVE this! It would be so helpful to be able to read reviews about each particular product I am looking at.
Thank you!

4 replies
AlanT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanT Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 5

The PME gerbera and daisy plunger cutters work very well. The trick with any daisy cutter is to place the cutter on your gumpaste then move in a circular motion to get a clean cut. You may also have to flip the cutter over and rub with your fingers to get all the gumpaste to cut through. This tends to happen with any daisy cutter. Alan

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 5

I second the PME cutters they are fantastic.

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 5

I bought the set of 3 PME cutters from GSA and used them on my daisy wedding cake. They worked great!

AlanT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanT Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 5

If you really want to add some life to the daisies, use a JEM Frilling tool or Holly Frilling pin to lightly widen and elongate each petal. The frilling tools add texture to the petals and they look more lifelike when dusted. I usually do this on the firm side of a CelPad. Alan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%