**newbie** Help With Isomalt

Sugar Work By danf161 Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 11:23pm by Marci

danf161 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danf161 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:30am
post #1 of 4

Hello all! This is my first post here on CC. I'm needing some help with Isomalt. Does anyone have any experience with it? Whats the ratio for crystals to water (or whatever else is used)? I'm completely green to using sugar. I'm attempting to make 3-4in tall coral for a "diving" cake. ANY info would be awesome!!

-Dan

3 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 4

Dan,

for the Isomalt I use, it's 3pts Isomalt to 1 pt water. I'm not sure all kinds are the same though.

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 4

Here's a link to a thread about this from a while back that I tagged onto... I still haven't given isomalt another go since my first failure icon_razz.gif , but hoping to try again sometime soon.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6755836-.html#6755836

From what I've seen "MYOM-Dominic" is the resident expert on all things sugar, you could probably PM him if you have specific questions...

Good luck!

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 4

When working with Isomalt, I use a very little bit of water to isomalt. Usually I start with maybe 1/4 c of water in the pan and start with a bit of the isomalt and I let that melt. Then I add some more crystals and let those melt. Then add more and let those melt. I usually do 4 - 5 additions. The less water you can add, the slower it will take on humidity in the final piece. Hope this helps!

marci

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%