Are You A Cake Snob?

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 1:31am by catlharper

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:53pm
post #61 of 70

One thing I do hate about my cakes is the Wilton fondant, but I'm a vegetarian, so I don't want to make fondant using gelatin. I've heard tastes a little better. Anyone have any suggestion for the picky-vegetarian-wilton-fondant-hater???[/quote]

There's lots of choices. You'll just have to try them out to see what fits your budget, taste, and time. Here's a few:
Marshmallow Fondant=cheap & tasty. I haven't had consistent results.
Michelle Foster's Fondant=cheap & tasty. Easy to make, but I think it may have gelatin?
Satin Ice=pretty easy to work with, but I think it has a "chemically" taste.
Fondyx=easy to work, tasty, and one of the cheapest
Fondarific=pretty easy to work with, doesn't dry out as fast, delicious, very expensive
These are just my opinions. I buy the Fondyx most of the time b/c of taste & cost. I do buy SI black & red.

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:55pm
post #62 of 70

I am also a cake snob--my sisters love to point it out to me all the time. I bake from scratch and really prefer my cakes and homemade icing, cookies, etc. I have even turned my 12 year old daughter into a cake snob. She prefers my cakes over all others (what a good daughter!!) and her favorite frosting is Toba Garrett's French vanilla buttercream; however, she doesn't like ganache and takes great pleasure in telling me that. icon_confused.gif

I will take the t-shirt in a size "large" please.

Sarahweezie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarahweezie Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:11pm
post #63 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

One thing I do hate about my cakes is the Wilton fondant, but I'm a vegetarian, so I don't want to make fondant using gelatin. I've heard tastes a little better. Anyone have any suggestion for the picky-vegetarian-wilton-fondant-hater???

There's lots of choices. You'll just have to try them out to see what fits your budget, taste, and time. Here's a few:
Marshmallow Fondant=cheap & tasty. I haven't had consistent results.
Michelle Foster's Fondant=cheap & tasty. Easy to make, but I think it may have gelatin?
=pretty easy to work with, but I think it has a "chemically" taste.
Fondyx=easy to work, tasty, and one of the cheapest
Fondarific=pretty easy to work with, doesn't dry out as fast, delicious, very expensive
These are just my opinions. I buy the Fondyx most of the time b/c of taste & cost. I do buy SI black & red.[/quote]

Marshmallows contain gelatin. They make vegan marshmallows but they're crazy expensive. I may try the Fondyx. I guess you have to order this stuff online??? Thanks so much for your reply!

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:58am
post #64 of 70

Oh I'm definitely a cake snob and so is my family! When there are free samples of cake out in the grocery store my kids won't even touch them. I've asked them if they didn't want to go grab a piece of the cake but they respond that it isn't as good as mine. icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:04am
post #65 of 70

nope, not a cake snob at all

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:17am
post #66 of 70

And I forgot to mention that I even smuggled a cake on a cruise ship....couldn't trust they would have a cake that would be good enough for my friends!!!! Hello cake snob...they have gourmet chefs!!!! But all our friends and the surrounding tables liked my Ding Dong cake such better than the ship's offerings. icon_smile.gif

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:30am
post #67 of 70

Me, a cake snob? Yes, and proud of it thumbs_up.gif

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:03am
post #68 of 70

I didn't used to be, but suddenly I am! I have only been all scratch baking for a year (before that it was mostly mixes). But I've been baking ALOT and so I have gotten used to the scratch taste. I went to a very nice cupcake shop recently had one of their cupcakes and found myself instantly saying "oh this is obviously from a mix" with a note of disappointment. I couldn't believe the words came out of my mouth...luckily it was just to my husband...LOL!

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:10am
post #69 of 70

I'm a cake snob and proud of it! Now if I could just get my hands on one of those t-shirts icon_biggrin.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:31am
post #70 of 70

Ok, so here's proof my son is a cake snob in training. I'm making a whole bunch of sugar flowers for a wedding cake and I went to my cake supply store to buy cupcake holders for storage and they didn't have any so the next stop happened to be Safeway which had 4th of July cupcakes, one dozen, on sale...hmmmm went my head...get the kid to eat the store cupcakes and I get the container that I need so badly!!! So I buy them, come home and my 9 yr old sees the container and says "Mom, why would you buy those? They aren't YOURS!" and my dh looks over and says "Nope, she just wanted the container" LOL LOL LOL...ok, he knows me TOOOOO well!

Cat

still waiting for Jackie and Heath to pick up on this thread so we'll get our t'shirts!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%