Can You Help Me Price A Cake Tonight?

Decorating By amyhntr2 Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 12:02pm by amyhntr2

amyhntr2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyhntr2 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:35am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone
I am very new to cake making. This is only the fourth one I've decorated and I haven't had a chance to figure out the pricing matrixes in the stickies (which btw thank you sooo much for sharing those!)
My fil has an event tomorrow where he can serve one of my cakes and I can get a little exposure as I try to get into cake decorating. I figured on just donating it so that I could get some more decorating practice and also get some advertising in exchange but he also wants me to price it in case someone wants to buy it or might want to order another like it. I just finished decorating tonight and need helping with the pricing for tomorrow.

Material costs:
2 cake mix $.98x2
powdered sugar 1.72
marshmallows 1.00
3 tubs frosting 1.32x3

=8.64

I don't really know what to charge for my time at this point since I feel like I'm still practicing for the most part and not really professional. (Also it's hard to say how long I spent on it. I have a one year old so I just squeezed in the time while i could)

I baked the cakes, leveled and torted, filled layers with buttercream, iced, covered in fondant, made all the flowers and decorations.

I would appreciate your help as I continue on this journey icon_biggrin.gif

eta:sorry the pic isn't high quality. it's from my phone and all I had the capability of posting tonight
LL

7 replies
donnlara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnlara Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:13am
post #2 of 8

You didn't mention the sizes of the tiers, which is what I use to calculate prices. I am pretty new to the biz and am still building my client base, and I found that I had to come up with a pricing plan right off the bat, so that I was being consistent and fair to myself for my efforts.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:34am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyhntr2

Material costs:
2 cake mix $.98x2
powdered sugar 1.72
marshmallows 1.00
3 tubs frosting 1.32x3

=8.64

What did you spend on:

eggs
oil
shortening
butter
vanilla or other flavoring
paper towels
soap for cleanup
wax/parchment paper
gas in your car to buy supplies
whatever you coated your pans with
add'l p.sugar or cornstarch to roll the fondant out on
I've never made fondant so are the only ingredients marshmallows and p.sugar? Is there any flavoring, butter or liquid in there?
cake cardboards
supports
cake box(es)
an estimate of utility time (gas/electric to run the stove; elec to run the mixer and dishwasher; hot water; and there's even an overhead cost for use of the refrigerator and lights)

And the biggest expense of all.......
Number of hours spent on this project, starting from when you took the order to when it was finally delivered.

You spent WAY more than eight bucks to make this cake.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:45am
post #4 of 8

The above post is why we all love Indydebi... icon_biggrin.gif

Lisa-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa-lou Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:32am
post #5 of 8

Oh dear I was thinking the same thing about pricing as my little business is only just starting up and must admit I didn't think of half the things that Indydebi mentioned. Back to the drawing board I guess, thanks so much for this post.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:08am
post #6 of 8

Ok first off hello amyhntr2 and welcome to CC.

Now just to let you know. This forum "Cake Decorating Business" is considered a No rainbows, kittens and puppy dogs zone.... which means you will get some brutally honest answers in here.

First of you need to determine whether it is legal to sell cakes where you live. I don't know where you live so I can't tell you. In most states it is illegal to sell food items that are prepared in your home. In some states you can get a permit or license to sell food items prepared in your home.

Secondly after you figure ALL of what Indy said, figure out how much you want to make and what price range your area will support. I recently moved and had to change my pricing to compete . For me my prices are from $2.75 per serving for the most basic buttercream to $5.75 per serving for a highly detailed fondant cake.

Thirdly your cake is very cute but you need some more practice before really getting your business going. There is a difference in being a hobby baker and be a proffesional caker. Once you start selling cakes you are a professional and people will expect A LOT for their money.I can see you are on the right track , but your fondant should be smoother and your cakes should be cleaner ( no lumps , dents or bulges ) before you can charge equal to some professional bakers.

I can't really tell what sizes you used, they look like an 8" and a 6" which equals 36 servings. MY price from Me would be $162.

I know you are new so please don't take this harshly, I think with a little more practice you will be comanding the big bucks soon! icon_smile.gif

I wish you the best in your business venture!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:42am
post #7 of 8

....moving this to the General forum. icon_smile.gif

amyhntr2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyhntr2 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:02pm
post #8 of 8

"Oh dear I was thinking the same thing about pricing as my little business is only just starting up and must admit I didn't think of half the things that Indydebi mentioned. Back to the drawing board I guess, thanks so much for this post. "

My sentiments exactly!!
If my brain wasn't functioning enough last night when I posted to even remember the very obvious cost of eggs and oil, no wonder I couldn't figure out the price matrix. LOL

Regarding below...there is so much that I have no clue on and will have to figure out. For my own use I'll go ahead and post what I do know so I can come back and figure out more details. I doubt this info will help anyone else know what to price my cake.

"What did you spend on:

eggs - 6egss
oil - 2/3c oil total
shortening - used on work surface and rolling pins, none in recipes this go round
butter - none this time ( I bought store made icing or I wouldn't have had enough time, I plan to make my own in the future)
vanilla or other flavoring - none
paper towels - probably 6-8 paper towels
soap for cleanup - used for a sink full of dish water and on work surface
wax/parchment paper - two approx 2ft sheets for cooling cakes
plastic wrap- six 2ft sheets for wrapping cakes to freeze
gas in your car to buy supplies - no idea....
whatever you coated your pans with -a little more shortening and flour
add'l p.sugar or cornstarch to roll the fondant out on
I've never made fondant so are the only ingredients marshmallows and p.sugar? Is there any flavoring, butter or liquid in there? - the recipe I've been using is just mm and powedered sugar
cake cardboards - made my own, but still need to figure out cost
supports -not sure of cost
cake box(es) - didn't use one this time
an estimate of utility time (gas/electric to run the stove; elec to run the mixer and dishwasher; hot water; and there's even an overhead cost for use of the refrigerator and lights) - NO idea....more research on my list icon_smile.gif

And the biggest expense of all.......
Number of hours spent on this project, starting from when you took the order to when it was finally delivered. - I need to get a timer that I can stop and start to keep track because with a one year old I can only work in spurts and that's where I totally lose track of how long I spent on it.

You spent WAY more than eight bucks to make this cake. "

"The above post is why we all love Indydebi... "

I can see why!!

"Ok first off hello amyhntr2 and welcome to CC

Now just to let you know. This forum "Cake Decorating Business" is considered a No rainbows, kittens and puppy dogs zone.... which means you will get some brutally honest answers in here. "

haha the way you put that made me laugh. I can appreciate a rainbow free zone. icon_smile.gif I have looked into the legalities in this state and have a kitchen I can use for the time being

"Secondly after you figure ALL of what Indy said, figure out how much you want to make and what price range your area will support. I recently moved and had to change my pricing to compete . For me my prices are from $2.75 per serving for the most basic buttercream to $5.75 per serving for a highly detailed fondant cake. "

I will have to do more research for sure.

"Thirdly your cake is very cute but you need some more practice before really getting your business going. There is a difference in being a hobby baker and be a proffesional caker. Once you start selling cakes you are a professional and people will expect A LOT for their money.I can see you are on the right track , but your fondant should be smoother and your cakes should be cleaner ( no lumps , dents or bulges ) before you can charge equal to some professional bakers. "

I totally agree with you on this. Although I was happy with the cake in the sense it's the best/most complicated I've made yet, it's absolutely not up to standard with a professional. There was a lot left to be desired and that was even after I covered up plenty of mistakes under the flowers. That was why I just wanted to donate this to FIL and let people get a look at least, but not necessarily sell it. But then again if someone does want to buy it/others like it, I wanted to be ready with a quote.

"I can't really tell what sizes you used, they look like an 8" and a 6" which equals 36 servings. MY price from Me would be $162. "

They were 8" and 6". I thought I had included that in my OP. doh...

"I know you are new so please don't take this harshly, I think with a little more practice you will be comanding the big bucks soon!

I wish you the best in your business venture! "

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%