Transporting A Stacked Cake.

Decorating By luvbuttercream Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 9:26pm by luvbuttercream

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 3

I am needing to figure out how to transport a cake that is two tiers a 12 inch and an 8 inch. I am just curious what I should use as a base that won't bend. I have just used a cake board before for smaller cakes but I thinking this cake may be to heavy for that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 2 boards together??? I really am not sure and do you just use icing to attach the cake to the board or whatever you use as usual?? Thank you. icon_smile.gif

2 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 3

I tape 3 or 4 cardboard cake circles together and cover with pretty paper, fabric or whatever matches my cake, then I place my cake (on it's own cakeboard) on top of the base. When you have a cake that size you need at least 3 or 4 cardboard circles or a cake drum to support the weight or you will have problems with your cake cracking and/or breaking.

The cake needs to sit on a flat surface. You can make the seat of your car a flat surface by adding a rolled towel and piece of plywood or particle board on top. I always transport 2 and 3 tiered cakes fully assembled. I use straws and cardboard circles for my support system and I have never had any problems transporting.

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much mamawrobin! That was VERY informative. And actually the lady I am making the cake for is picking it up. I just wanted to be sure she had a sturdy base for the cake and it didn't turn into a disaster. I will be sure to tell her the best way to travel with it though. Thank you again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%