Narcotics Anonymous Cake...any Ideas?

Decorating By Rachel5370 Updated 25 Feb 2013 , 9:56pm by The Cake Diva

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 17

It's his NA "birthday" and he wants to bring a cake to the meeting for 30 people. I want to do something more creative than just slapping the logo on the cake. Anyone ever do a cake like this or have any ideas? Thankyou in advance! icon_biggrin.gif ~Rachel

16 replies
Rachel5370 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 17

Any ideas? Please?

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 17

You're NOT being a pest. You'd like some help and that's what we do until, hopefully,
we get that help. I wish I could be the one to give you a hand but don't have a clue.
Does it have to be a cake related to that? Why not just a a really yummy and cheery
cake.
Anyway, I hope you'll soon get your answer! Good Luck!! icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 17

i would avoid anything related to the NA - i dont think that most people really want to be reminded why they are where they are. i would just think stripes or retro circles, flowers, swiss dot, or classic dessert cake - chocolate shavings, chopped nuts etc.
xx

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 17

Saw this on a Narcotics Anonymous site...a cake here on CC

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_26580.html

I found another cake on a website...but don't know how to load it here..
send me your email address and I will forward the cake to you..

thecook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecook Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 17

I did a cake for AA this year. Did do a EI for the center, but added chocolate coins in different colors with the AA sign (triangle). I don't know if NA uses coins. I wanted to add a fondant scroll with the 12 steps printed on it, but was having trouble with the printer. I don't have a picture of the cake, but I hear they all loved it.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 17

What about making a medallion/chip rather than just the logo? See here for photos:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spaw2/uploads/pdf/catalogs/2009_Product_Catalog_Keytags&Medallions.pdf

You probably could search Google images for "NA medallion," too.

Another idea--Stacked NA books with titles on the spine.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 17

why not just a "re"birthday cake.

do up full birthday style with the number of years in recovery as the number on top

color scheme would be NA's colors -- blue and white

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 17

Oooh, another idea:

Bake a tall/double-barreled cake. Carve out a staircase going up to the top of the cake with 12 steps. Pipe a number on each step, starting at the bottom: I, II, III, IV.... Put a medallion at the top--could be flat or upright.

Here are some 'stair' cakes"
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1688913
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1553851
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1302229

You could follow the structure of these spiral/ramp/winding road cakes, but make the ramp into stairs
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1422751
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1310438

Here's a great tutorial by JammJenks on how to carve the spiral:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-662894-spiral.html+road

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:01pm
post #10 of 17

I think it would be great to highlight his sobriety and combine that with some of his personal interests. Most people that are in NA/AA are very proud of how far they have come in life and would love a cake that represents that.

With that said, I would do the winding road type cake, and go all the way to the 12th step on top. Then ask him what step he is at in his program and place a little "him" there. It shows how far he has climbed from his bottom and shows what the future has ahead.

The steps can be represented by little road signs of different styles. The main body of the cake could be decorated as a basic outdoors theme, or this is where you can try to include his personal interests.

Rachel5370 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:59am
post #11 of 17

Thankyou, thankyou and thankyou for the wonderful ideas! I talked to my friend about the cake. I thought it was specifically for him, but the last Weds of every month is "cake day" in his group. It's his turn to bring the cake. He brought me his medallion, I'm going to do a replica of that. I'm not putting a number on it because everyone there has a different number of years of sobriety. He wants me to put "Today" in the middle where the year would be. The one day at a time thing is big for them. Maybe I will end up making a cake for them every month- who knows? Then I can use the stairs idea (I love that!) and the other ideas you guys gave me! Thankyou again! this one was a toughy because I thought that maybe I should skip the theme- like a couple of you suggested. Since it only being served to members of the group- he wants it to be NA related. thumbs_up.gif ~Rachel

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:33pm
post #12 of 17

Sounds perfect. Have fun with it and I hope it turns into many new endeavors for you.

BenMcManus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BenMcManus Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 1:44am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

i would avoid anything related to the NA - i dont think that most people really want to be reminded why they are where they are. i would just think stripes or retro circles, flowers, swiss dot, or classic dessert cake - chocolate shavings, chopped nuts etc.
xx

You would think so, but it is the opposite, they want, need, to be reminded, everyday, to forget is to relapse. I know.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 2:21am
post #14 of 17

I agree with the one who said just stay away from the NA theme. if I was doing it I would see if I could find out a little from the guy and make something that he is involved with and make it a masculine cake. I would say that, yes, it would be great to put the number of years on the cake because he is celebrating his victory over the habit, but don't "dwell"on the reason for the cake on the cake itself. Like for instance does he like motorcycles a special kind or is he into racing. Stuff like that. I see nothing wrong either with using Blue and white in the cake somewhere, but don't tie yourself to it either if you find something of a greater idea or color scheme. Best wishes and let us know how it turned out.

BenMcManus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BenMcManus Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 3:14pm
post #15 of 17

I am making one this month for an MA friend, 9 inch yellow almond, white buttercream frosting, NA Logo spray painted across the top with gum paste monthly key tag replicas on the sides. I can see not making an NA or AA cake for some other celebration, but this person is celebrating their NA birthday, it is exactly what they want to see. "Remember" is the most important word in the program, and those not in it, just don't get it. WE surround ourselves with friends from the rooms, because we want to be reminded every day.

Misoranomegami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misoranomegami Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 9:34pm
post #16 of 17

It wasn't a cake but for my dad's 20th sobriety birthday I got him a cup engraved with the words "Serenity Courage Wisdom" in honor of the of the Serenity Prayer that's heavily used in AA. It was really beautiful and people knew what it meant without having to try to fit the whole thing on it.

The Cake Diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The Cake Diva Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 9:56pm
post #17 of 17

Rachel,

When my husband celebrated his 15 years in the program, I made him a cake like the basic text!  It was a big hit and very simple to do. Square cake, iced in white icing,blue fondant on the top and one side for a "book cover"  then follow the front of the book for the pattern.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%