Made Vs. Bought Fondant

Business By Megabot Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 4:49pm by Denise

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 11:39am
post #61 of 63

I take a lot of pride in how my cakes look and taste. For example, I sell a particular brand of fillings, because they taste good. They do have a bavarian creme that I think has a funny after taste...I don't sell that. If I personally don't like something, I won't sell it. I would NEVER be dishonest with my customers, never ever. People pay a whole lot for a cake, weddings especially. My customers RAVE about the looks and taste of my cakes. There are certain factors that make fondant palatable..... the main ones are taste and thickness. When I do my cupcakes, it is so thin you literally, hardly know it's on there. But I still get the look which is what most people are going for. If you put 1/4" on your cake, yes...it is going to be a more chewy like product. People eat my fondant..... and because of the oils in the chocolate, one can roll it MUCH thinner with perfect results. Check out my cakes, I think they speak for themselves. I can't tell you how many couples I have over here that say they don't want fondant from the start....I tell them fondant has a bad rap on the market, because there are BAD fondants out there. They taste mine, they order it. This happens time and time again. 99.9% of my weddings are fondant. I can only recall one gal not ordering it and she said it was good, but just had her heart set on icing. I think that my product speaks for itself in this track record. So don't close yourself off to fondant. It CAN be a wonderful addition to your cakes. You probably have just never tried one that was good. My .02 cents icon_smile.gif

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

hoosierhobbyist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoosierhobbyist Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:00pm
post #62 of 63

I use both Satin Ice and DecoPac's brand (which I would swear is Satin Ice rebranded!) The great thing about ordering from DecoPac, free shipping for orders over $75 ~ even fondant!! While I like ChocPan and several others CK Products sell, the shipping costs aren't worth it.

Free shipping through DecoPac, completely the way to go, especially if you are rural like I am.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:49pm
post #63 of 63

Wow...free shipping is always a good thing!

I charge the same for fondant or buttercream. It costs me a little more in product make a fondant cake but it takes me longer to smooth and perfect a buttercream cake so to me it is equal.

I let my customers decided - most choose my fondant and for those that don't it is fine with me. Either way, I am committed to bringing them a terrific tasting cake.

I ran into a recent bride and groom in the store yesterday and they said they were thrilled with their cakes and the taste. They had some cake left over and were sending it home and their guests were saying, hey make that piece bigger - don't be stingy with it! So I am guessing that the guests loved the fondant too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%