I Am Horrified At What Some People Are Willing To Deliver

Decorating By momma28 Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 2:07pm by Melvira

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:27am
post #31 of 43

As much as I am also DYING to see it, it is a good choice not to post it. Why invite disaster, right?

But I know what you mean about being shocked by quality. I mean, I am not the best in the world, I don't pretend to be, but I also wouldn't deliver something like what you described unless I was in traction. I try to be pretty modest about my cakes because the more sh*t you talk, the more likely people will not be impressed because it didn't live up to the hype, KWIM? I've only ever made one wedding cake that I was unsatisfied with, but I put myself through the ringer over that one. And I think the biggest obstacle was that I hated what the bride picked. Maybe this person knew this was crap. icon_rolleyes.gif Oh, you said this wasn't unlike her/his usual quality so maybe she/he just plain stinks! icon_surprised.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:28am
post #32 of 43

I don't understand how this person is a preferred vendor. What's the criteria to become one?

I also say don't post it. Niceties aside, it's bad biz to badmouth another baker. Anonymously on CC will work just fine. icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:03pm
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I don't understand how this person is a preferred vendor. What's the criteria to become one?

I kind of wondered that as well... doesn't speak well of the venue, unless it's just a "we've checked their license to be sure they're legit and insured" sort of deal. No guarantees on quality...

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:03pm
post #34 of 43

I know how tough it is financially today, but if this person remains a preferred vendor, you should seriously consider whether you want to continue the relationship. People have short memories. I was just at a wedding on Saturday and I asked who made the cake. Darned if I could remember the last name of the person a mere 6 hours later.

If this venue becomes known as "the place with the really crappy cake people," this could quickly become your problem because most people won't ask questions and learn it is just one baker they don't want to choose. Your rep may get tainted because of this person and the venue's relationship with her.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 10:00pm
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I know how tough it is financially today, but if this person remains a preferred vendor, you should seriously consider whether you want to continue the relationship. People have short memories. I was just at a wedding on Saturday and I asked who made the cake. Darned if I could remember the last name of the person a mere 6 hours later.

If this venue becomes known as "the place with the really crappy cake people," this could quickly become your problem because most people won't ask questions and learn it is just one baker they don't want to choose. Your rep may get tainted because of this person and the venue's relationship with her.

That is what I thought also!

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:55pm
post #36 of 43

I think the fact that she always delivers the cake early in the morning "so that she can have the rest of the day to herself" speaks volumes about her priorities and dedication. It's one thing if you have a ton of cakes to deliver and know a particular venue keeps the AC nice and cold and is trustworthy with a cake, it's another if your just doing it cause you want the day off. I am a small company and I only have 1 or 2 large event cakes on the same day so I always deliver an hour before the event so that I keep as much control over my product as possible. There are just so many unexpected variables that can crop up if you leave your cake unattended in a space you do not have control over. I cannot imagine a cake that was not even leveled on each tier... shocking it was standing at all. When I cut dowels I am always scared that they might not be absolutely perfectly exactly the same height and might cause a lean - even a slight tiny lean on a big cake can be a big deal. YIKES that whole situation just sounds insane.

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:37pm
post #37 of 43

I deliver my cakes earlier in the day (not early am) just in case there is an accident I can run home and fix something or make another cake. I also trust my venue too! Also I just do wedding cakes for family and friends so I am usually invited to the wedding, so another reason why I deliver earlier. The cake I just posted from this past weekend was delivered 5 1'2 hours early, set up took just over an hour.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:48am
post #38 of 43

That is a shame - especially if the work the bride looked at was gorgeous and what she received was beginner or sloppy work.

On the other hand, if bride chose this cake decorator on cheap price per serving or cake, she only has herself to blame. You get what you pay for. Period.

I work very hard to deliver a quality cake to my customers...rich butter in the buttercream (no shortening at all), cakes made fresh, the best decorating that I can do, cake delivered on time as ordered. Recently I have been told twice from customers that they heard that I was expensive but worth it. So the way I see it, I am cheap....the bride doesn't have to wonder/worry if her cake is going to fall over, look like a 5 year old made it, that it is going to arrive on time, that it is going to taste good.

There is more to the equation than cost per serving! This bride may have learned a very hard lesson in getting what you pay for. If she thought she bought top quality and didn't get it I would be asking for a refund!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:20am
post #39 of 43

send it to cake wrecks.....then we can all see it! LOL

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 3:38am
post #40 of 43

Well I figured I would update. I was sort of hoping against hope that I would find out that a family member made it and I was wrong about this person. I had to call one of the planners from this venue about another wedding. I casually asked who made the cake for the wedding the day I picked up my display cake. She confirmed that it was this woman (honestly it wouldnt have mattered really if it was the other "preferred vendor as hers are regretably not much better). I expressed my concerns because I felt it reflected poorly on their venue. She was saddened to hear it as she hadnt seen it herself. I think they are aware of the problem.

I have had the same concern as one of the posters here that this would reflect poorly on me being associated with them. I have started working with another venue (well respected, beautiful, been featured in Martha Stewart Weddings). I watch the blogs of local wedding photogs , mostly because I love wedding pics icon_smile.gif, and have been horrified and more of the cakes lately. SO SAD for the brides

Melvira Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:34pm
post #41 of 43

Thanks for the update! Did she express an interest in seeing pictures of the 'wreck'? I would think she'd be more than vested in the idea of weeding out the unacceptable, and getting more exemplary artists afiliated with her venue. JMHO. It looks bad for her too when she calls them 'preferred'. Obviously she's not responsible for the quality, but she IS on the hook for calling them preferred!

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:38pm
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Thanks for the update! Did she express an interest in seeing pictures of the 'wreck'? I would think she'd be more than vested in the idea of weeding out the unacceptable, and getting more exemplary artists afiliated with her venue. JMHO. It looks bad for her too when she calls them 'preferred'. Obviously she's not responsible for the quality, but she IS on the hook for calling them preferred!

She did not and really my little phone pic wasnt great. She is close with the photog so im sure they will see them. What a job that person had trying to find an angle to shoot the cake cutting which wouldnt accentuate the horrifying state of the cake

Melvira Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:07pm
post #43 of 43

Yikes... that stinks. I suppose she probably wanted to remain professional so that it didn't seem she was slammed the other decorator 'publicly' perhaps? That would be the professional thing to do... thank you for bring it up and then go to the photog and take a look! I hope that's what it is, and not that she could care less! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%