Pls Someone Help... Rkt

Decorating By arwa Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 12:12pm by arwa

arwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arwa Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 12

Hi ,

I'm making a Barney cake tomorrow and Im making the characters 3d. The body of the characters will be cake ( I used the barbie mould from wilton) and for the heads I used RKT.

I made the heads a couple of days before and inserted 2 dowels sticks in each of them. I just tried covering them with fondant and now they've become super heavy. My question is , will the body of the cake collapse when I put the head on or will the dowels help support it. Ive used regular wooden dowels 2 of them in each.

Is there any alternative I can do to prevent this happen. I'm really stressed right now and not getting anything right.

Somone pls pls help me.

Regards,
Arwa

11 replies
NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 12

Hi,
The dowels will definitely help, are you able to put some support into the cake as well? I tend to dowel the cake part and then have the rkt section sitting on a cake board to give some extra support.

Good luck with the cake!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 12

Whenever I make anything out of RKT's I buy the treats from the store. They seem to work better for me than making them and I compress them tightly together into a large ball and then model what I want. When it is completed I cover the shape in melted chips or the candy wafers like Merckens or Wilton. This seems to help to make the object smoother and stay together. You could put some on your stick and then also spread some around where the stick goes into the object. Then I will cover the object with fondant. I hope that this may help you.
evelyn

Connie1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie1027 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 12

I've recently made three cakes with RKT sculptures (the dog, shark and rubber ducky tub in my photos). I've always put a dowel in the bottom of the RKT to insert into the cake, mostly to keep it in place. I also put 3-4 supports (straws or wooden dowels) into the cake where I plan to place the RKT piece. On my shark cake, I just put the piece directly on the fondant. On the other two, I cut a piece of cake board to fit, but not show, to put the RKT on, kind of like it was another cake tier. (You'll have to put a hole in the cake board where the dowel coming out of the bottom of the head can go through.) I haven't had a problem with any of them, and they've each had to travel an hour for delivery. Good Luck!!

arwa Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 12

Thanx for your quick reply !! Natalie, I didn't get the part where u said extra support to the cake. I Haven't cut the dowls as yet but Im going to make sure the dowels go right throught the cake till the bottom.

Evelyn, I haven't seen the ready treats here , but will look out for them for my next cake !!

Just so stressed right now ... But I think im gonna be fine now ...

Thanx once again

NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 12

Sorry if I didn't make it clear! I just meant that I put dowels in the cake separately (like when you dowel a wedding cake) and then have the rkt part sitting on top of this on a cake board.

arwa Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 12

Thanx once again !! Feeling a bit more confident now . Just one quick question, when covering the RKT with fondant, does it always make it heavy? The reason I used them was coz I thought they would be lightter than using a chunk of fondant for the head.

So now, I should dowel the cake like a normal cake and then place the RKT head that's sitting on a cake board with one dowel going through the RKT , the board under the RKT and the main cake. SOrry for bothering you'll so much

And thanx once again !!

Connie1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie1027 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 12

That's what I would do!!

arwa Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 12

Than you soo much !! You have no idea how much more confident Im feeling now. The characters are also looking much better than what they looked when I just started them. Can't wait to see the final cake . Will post a pic soon !!

arwa Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:12am
post #10 of 12

Thank you so much everyone !! It worked. The cake stayed on perfectly well. The client and all her guests loved it ( I went to the party to set up the cake). I will upload the picture in my photos.

Regards,
Arwa

obabassa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obabassa Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:39am
post #11 of 12

If you use a cake drum to put your cake on you can push the dowels that the head is on into the cake and the drum and that will help support the weight even more.

arwa Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:12pm
post #12 of 12

Thanx obabassa, will keep that in mind.

Here's the picture

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1724975

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%