Food Coloring Disaster!

Decorating By MJTKNT Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 12:18pm by Hollandy

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:33am
post #1 of 32

Today while working on tinting some buttercream, I realized I had a jar of gel missing. I just couldn't find it anywhere, and it was (of course) the color I needed. No problem though...I mixed other colors and came up with an ok result. During this whole stint, my little guy was in the next room playing with the dog, or so I thought. I could see them both crawling around under the table "playing"...but it wasn't until he toddled towards me that I actually saw the mischief that was going down...

That's what I get for thinking I could finish a cake during a nap. It never works! Someday I'll learn to push pause on what I'm doing once he's up. It was so close to being done though!
LL
LL

31 replies
NanaFixIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaFixIt Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:39am
post #2 of 32

Well........it IS a beautiful color! Apparently your son has very good taste (or was it the dog that instigated the incident?)!

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:49am
post #3 of 32

Ahhh. Partners in crime! Too cute.

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:50am
post #4 of 32

I'm fairly certain it was the dog, though I still haven't figured out how the lid came off...and I think I've accidentally posted this in the wrong forum section!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:00am
post #5 of 32

Well, it IS a disaster with cake supplies. Cute kid and dog, but I don't think either of them looks very repentant.

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:44am
post #6 of 32

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey.... thats the same deer in the head lights look my son had eating my air brushed red roses....*LOL*

bakescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescupcakes Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 8:03am
post #7 of 32

Too funny!.......and soooooo cute!!

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 12:55pm
post #8 of 32

Lovely photos! they both look guilty partnersicon_smile.gif

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 32

That is just waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too funny!!! At least it was something that wouldn't hurt them and you have a sense of humor about it! I'm sure that these two guys have many more surprises in the future for you - and I can't wait to hear about them.
Just reading this lightened my day and gets me off to a good start. Thanks for sharing.

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:52pm
post #10 of 32

I love the blue dog!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 2:03pm
post #11 of 32

gives new meaning to the term "blue tooth"!

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:40pm
post #12 of 32

Just had to laugh, cause I have 4 kids, and I can assure you, they are constantly doing something, into something or totaly making something FUBAR. LOL I'm glad its not just me... icon_wink.gif

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:14pm
post #13 of 32

That happened to me last year but at least he was outside. He was so upset when the blue wouldn't wash off his hands.

laidbackluvvie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laidbackluvvie Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:55pm
post #14 of 32

this is a moment money just cant buy, you will treasure it and im sure those pictures will come out and bring a smile in years to come.

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:08pm
post #15 of 32

Awww, they are both so cute and with blue being my favorite color, I have to say they both have good taste! Kind of reminds me of a couple weeks ago when I got my new airbrush, only it was me that looked like that. HA!

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:55pm
post #16 of 32

Tooooooooo cute!!!!!! That gave me the biggest laugh out loud today! Had to share with hubby, thanks for sharing this with us!

CakeRx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRx Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:11am
post #17 of 32

OMG I had to respond to this post! Last year, my schnauzer got the SAME color from a basket I left sitting on a kitchen chair; I realized he was playing with something but thought it was one of his toys. Long story short, after I shampooed him AND the floor, rug, etc., I took him for a walk that afternoon. When he did his business, LOL, it was BRIGHT BLUE! No kidding; looked like candy. We laughed all the way home.... icon_smile.gif

AuntieV2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieV2010 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:46am
post #18 of 32

And tomorrow will be blue poop from both I am willing to bet. LOL!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:54am
post #19 of 32

Smurfs!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 8:15pm
post #20 of 32

I LOVE french bullies - the kid is cute tooicon_smile.gif Food colour accidents are so distressing but funny tooicon_smile.gif

foodguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foodguy Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 8:36pm
post #21 of 32

Adorable pictures of your partners in crime.
I agree that someday this will be a precious memory.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:57pm
post #22 of 32

Must be something with blue - I made two batches of icing last night, white and royal blue. Before I knew it, I looked at the BF and said "I am turning into a smurf!!!" The color had gotten onto the mixer and I didnt know it. My hands, shirt, everything was a hint of blue - luckily it comes out nicely in the wash. And this was after I let a bag of powdered sugar get away from me. Nice snowy kitchen cabinet and floor!

Priceless photos!!!

krazyb5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazyb5 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:07pm
post #23 of 32

LOL, this happen to me, my grandson came ova to visit, next thing I know he's full of blue gel food coloring, Priceless icon_wink.gif

NJCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJCakeDiva Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:18pm
post #24 of 32

The dog and your son look adorable. Blue is the new Black LOL icon_lol.gif

I can totally relate. Last night I was coloring some gumpaste for a birthday cake for my sister and my 9yr decides that he wants to experiment with making colors with my new box of americolor gels. I turned to him and said "Do you know how much this cost" and he says "Mom, it's all in the name of science". I couldn't argue with that so after rescuing my new gels, I gave him the old mccormick tubes red, blue, yellow and green) and he continued to experiment. Final outcome- he colored his lil brother's leftover dinner- chicken, yellow rice and broccoli- What a mess! LOL

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:02pm
post #25 of 32

I've had that happen before. It was way too funny. Good luck with the cleanup.

babyshac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyshac Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:03pm
post #26 of 32

Oh wow, I hope the floors were ok!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:45pm
post #27 of 32

OMG! You gotta laugh. Kids say and do the funniest things. I made my granddaughter chicken nuggets the other night, and she informed me she couldn't eat her chicken nuggets without bar-ga-doo sauce. I love stuff like this.

paula1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula1234 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:42pm
post #28 of 32

hey, I can relate. my son has a bishon frise and she is white as the pure snow/ that is until I lay my colors down on a pretty high table to go check on my dad. she walks on her hind legs around to see what she can get. she has been purple, green, orange and she looks pretty good in pink. the groomers thinks this is very funny. every time i make her an appointment to be groomed, they want to know what color is wearing today.

pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:02pm
post #29 of 32

oh dear, this is hysterical. I think I might have to arrange both of those pictures side by side in a two-matted picture frame and hang it proudly, just for the funny factor. I feel your pain and trying to do anything within a nap time frame. Thanks for sharing this story and pics, it's really cute.

marcx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcx Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:28pm
post #30 of 32

OMG FRENCHIE!
I have one too and he's eaten his share of gumpaste flowers and fondant scraps.
But never a tub of gel food coloring!

Best cake disaster post.
ever.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%