Question About Fresh Fruit Mixed Into Mousse

Decorating By joaaaann Updated 26 Jun 2010 , 4:51am by joaaaann

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:23am
post #1 of 3

I am wanting to make a flavorful strawberry cake and want to use the mousse recipe ( heavy whipping cream, instant pudding, jello combined ) as the filling... but if I add fresh sliced strawberries to the mousse, how long will it be good for? Do you think 48 hrs in the fridge compromises the freshness and or texture? I don't want the strawberries getting 'rubbery'.

2 replies
mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:37am
post #2 of 3

First of all, Kristen Wiig is freaking hilarious (that's her in your avatar pic right?).
Second of all, I would say 48 hours would be the max I would give fresh berries in a filling. I think they do last longer when mixed into the mousse than just sliced up & put in the middle of the cake. If you're looking for an alternative, I made a most delicious strawberry mousse using Pastry Pride and added Hershey's strawberry syrup, it tastes like a strawberry milkshake.

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:51am
post #3 of 3

Ya, that's Kristen, lol !.. I LOVE her! I was really leary about the fresh fruit for that amt of time. I dunno. I might just nix that idea. I have to do something tonight but the idea for the Hershey's strawberry was a good one. I wish I had time to run to the store now ( it's going on midnight so nothing open around here.) I do have a strawberry sleeve of gel tho and I will probably make those holes thru out the cake and fill them with the gel then make the mouse (without the actual strawberries) for filling...crossing my fingers that it's a good idea icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%