Stacking Question

Decorating By katibeth88 Updated 26 Jun 2010 , 3:30am by SugarHighCakery

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making a simple 2-tier cake for a birthday party. (8 in. round top layer, 12 in. round bottom) I'm new to the multi-tier cakes, so I've always simply stacked the top cake in the center of the larger bottom cake (using wooden dowel rods and everything). I'm wanting to place my top cake off center this time. Do I need to do anything special in order to support this difference? As long as I have 5 rods underneath my 8 inch round (4 in high) cake, will it not slide off or begin to lean?[/i]

2 replies
mariposa15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariposa15 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 3

You just need to put the dowels centered under the top cake, not on the center of the bottom cake

SugarHighCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarHighCakery Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:30am
post #3 of 3

All cakes should be on a cake board. Space out your supports where you are placing the cake. Once you place the cake, sharpen the tip of a wood dowel and cut it so it will be an inch shorter than the tiered cake. Tap the dowel down through the center of the top tier into the bottom. Use another dowel to finish pushing it in. Fill the hole with butter cream and smooth. Your cake will be perfectly supported.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%