First Time Ever!!!!

Baking By Ronnie676 Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm by tweeter_bug98

Ronnie676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ronnie676 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 7

Ok so..... this week i started my first wilton cake class, i must say it was pretty funn..... meeting new people with a passion for cakes. I wonder how far or addicted i'll become with this!

Now the funn starts, i have to make some frosting and bake a cake to take to class next week, i want to practice during the weekend and see if i really can really whipp up some buttercream frosting and put it on a cake.
I hope i dont burn down the kitchen!!!

Any ideas on what to do thats simple and yummy for my first time!!! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 7

White cake with raspberry preserves (seedless) for filling. Put a light crumb coat and then the filling so it wont absorb in the cake and remember to use a stiff dam so it doesn't bleed through to the outside. Have fun.

Ronnie676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ronnie676 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 7

MMmmm sounds yummy!!! and I sure hope i get the frosting right icon_smile.gif
Thanks

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 7

when I took the Wilton class, you HAD to make the Wilton buttercream in all 3 consistencies each week. as far as cake goes, you can use a dummy or cupcakes or whatever your family is gonna eat up before next week's cake comes home. enjoy

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 7

With the new classes, Decorating Basic's you will only need thin and medium icing for the second week. If you think your consistancies may be a little off then just let the instructor know before class and he/she can help you fix it.

There are alot of things you can use for fillings. Jelly/Jams/Preserves are always nice if you are looking for fruity. The thicker ice cream toppings like the hot fudge. Nutella, the chocolate hazelnut spread is good. I recently found a chocolate and almond butter spread that was very yummy in cupcakes. Dulce De Leche (Nestle's makes a can of it, I find it in the spanish aisle at walmart) is a very good filling as well.

You can also just use buttercream if you would like.

It was interesting for me to have all my students in there torting, filling and icing all their cakes. It worked out rather well, and I enjoyed being there to walk them through it, since in the past they always came with their cake and question about icing. This time I got to see what they were doing and try to help out where needed.

Have fun in your classes!

angelamarie927 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelamarie927 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 7

Raspberry, strawberry, blueberry and apricot are all preserves I've used. I was told by my instructor not to use jelly because it's not as thick as preserves so it could be a little runny.
Plain buttercream is good too. One time I also used cherry pie filling whcih was so good. Puddings as well. The possibilities are endless!
Have fun Ronnie676!

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 7

I think chocolate or vanilla mousse are yummy as filling, too! The possibilities are endless. Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%