Needing Your Opinions

Decorating By LittleFox09 Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 4:25pm by yummy

LittleFox09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleFox09 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a cake for a friends birthday in 2 weeks. Its nothing "spectacular" but I would like for the cake to be made from scratch. So here's the plan that came to me at 5am this morning. 2-9" square layers stacked offset. The top layer is chocolate and the bottom layer is strawberry. Now Im just stuck as far as what I should fill them with. Any ideas???? Im still new to the decorating world so I dont have many filling ideas. Lol. Thanks for your help! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 11

Welcome to cc LittleFox09!

Banana bc, banana is delicious with chocolate and strawberry. You could also do vanilla then it would be a neopolitan cake.

You said 2 9" layers stacked offset. You mean 2 chocolate cakes filled and 2 strawberry cakes filled then stacked offset? You wrote it (and I read it ) like you want 1 layer of chocolate and 1 layer of strawberry each torted and filled then stacked offset (that would be a short two tiered cake). You can do 1 layer of chocolate cake, banana bc filling and then a layer of strawberry cake but that will be 1 two layer cake, you can't offset that.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, if so I apologize. Since your a newbie I just want to make sure I'm understanding what you wrote so I can give you accurate information. HTH

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 11

Hi, chocolate cake is very delicious with raspberry filling, I love it. As far as your strawberry cake goes, I like vanilla buttercream but, I'm sure the others on here will give you some more great choices to choose from. HTH

LittleFox09 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 11

yummy, u are correct. i meant 2 chocolate layers, and 2 strawberry layers. i am thinking of icing the entire cake with vanilla bc but i really want some yummy fillings.

msthang1224, do you have a good recipe for raspberry filling? Do you think that the chocolate/raspberry will go with the strawberry/vanilla?

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 11

You could try a strawberry cream cheese filling....

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 11

I love them together. Also if you want, you can try mocha buttercream filling, I hear that is good too BUT I haven't tried it yet. I have used the raspberry sleeve fillings and they love it. There is a raspberry filling on here in recipes section that a lot of our fellow CCr's say taste great.

yummy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 11

You asked if the rasp./choco flavors will go well with straw/van; and your icing the cakes in vanilla bc? I'm a little confused.

Are you making a 2 layer filled chocolate cake and icing in vanilla bc and a 2 layer filled strawverry cake and icing in vanilla bc? That would be 2 seperate flavored cakes; if this is the case then it doesn't matter if the flavors go well together. Each cake is eaten seperately.

If your doing 1 layer chocolate, filling, 1 layer strawberry, filling 1 layer chocolate... and then icing in vanilla bc, then you would need the filling to compliment both cake flavors because it's all 1 cake. If this is the case that's why I suggested banana bc (Lorann's Banana Cream oil or McCormicks Banana extract) banana goes great with both cake flavors. You could even do a banana cheesecake filling. Again, I just want to make sure I give the right info.

Raspberry is great with chocolate; I use the raspberry in the sleeve it tastes like the jelly in jelly donuts it is so good. When I do fruit fillings I always do a layer of bc then fruit filling on top of it.

LittleFox09 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 11

Yummy, sorry i keep confusing you! I am making 2 seperate cakes, but I still would like the flavors to flow nicely together because, some people want to eat both flavors on the same plate. I ate a cake a long time ago and remember that eating the flavors seperatly, it was wonderful. However, when a small slice of both flavors were on the plate & i tried them together it kind of ruined the cake. I know that this probably makes no sense! lol! I am one of those people who doesnt like thier food to touch on their plate! The raspberry sounds like a very good filling

LittleFox09 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 11

ok so i decided to use raspberry filling for the chocolate cake and a cream cheese filling for the strawberry cake. i will use vanilla bc to ice the outside of the cakes. i ordered the filling from global sugar art. im hoping for good results from them. i have never used them before and i have never used their fillings. wish me luck!

LittleFox09 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 11

thank you all for your help and advice!

yummy Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:25pm
post #11 of 11

You're welcom! Yes with the flavors you chose, if someone wants both on the same plate they wiil definitely compliment each other,

Now if someone wanted to have both flavors in one mouthful I can't vouch for how rasp. and straw pair together because I've never had that combo.

Let us know it turned out for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%