Baking When It's Hot!!!!

Decorating By asanchez Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 3:48pm by Karen421

asanchez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asanchez Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 20

Hello everyone!!!

When you have to bake and know that it will be 90 plus degrees outside and your air conditioner cannot tolerate too much, what do you do?

do you bake very early in the morning???

can you give me some pointers? thanks.

19 replies
yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:50pm
post #2 of 20

We don't have an a/c. I just bake early in the morning or more often late at night.

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 20

Ditto for me- either very early or late at night.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:01pm
post #4 of 20

I'm a late night person, but my a/c works fine.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 20

It's always hot here and my kitchen has no A/C, so I try to get my cakes in the oven as fast as I can and retreat to the air-conditioned part of the house with my oven timer and a cold drink!

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 20

I'm an early morning person so I always bake on or before 5am anyway. But in South Louisiana the ac runs constantly anyway!

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 20

I bake early in am or wee hrs of the night. I'm gong through the same thing, my central a/c is not working right now, uuuggghhhhh.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 20

Early Eary Early (yawn)! That means sometimes crawling out of bed at 4am. That is what time I had to be AT work at the bakery.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 20

I have no a/c and more often than not I have 20+ cakes to bake for the weekend's orders so I just try to get it all done in one day (bake the whole day) and deal with the heat and then hopefully things will cool off enough when it comes time to decorate. Often times I have to thicken my bc more with powdered sugar because it's so hot in here!!

I welcome the fall/winter seasons! I despise summer........I think there should be a new trend of Fall/winter weddings! lol Nothing worse than decorating a wedding cake with no a/c in 90+ degrees!

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:43pm
post #10 of 20

I only have a window unit AC in our bedroom. The rest of the house is just HOT!! I usually do my baking at night. I personally can't do it in the mornings because I have to be to work by 8. I am not a morning person, so I would rather do my baking in the late evenings!!

asanchez Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:57pm
post #11 of 20

thanks for all the great info!!!

I moved from FL about 2 years ago and still getting used to coming from a 2500 square feet house to an apartment in Brooklyn. I also have an air conditioner in the bedroom as my kitchen has no windows (can you believe it!!!).

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:12pm
post #12 of 20

I remember one summer, I interned at a bakery that had no AC. It was SOOOOO hot there because the bakery ran 24 hours a day, so the ovens were always on. What we would do to help stay cool is we would run cool water on our arms, but not dry them off. We'd shake them so they weren't dripping, but let the cool water evaporate away. Really worked wonders!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:16pm
post #13 of 20

Hey, asanchez, my kitchen has no windows either. But I designed it that way. My choice was a window or a cabinet. I would rather have the cabinet.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:16pm
post #14 of 20

Hey, thanks for that one, Rose_N_Crantz! I'll be trying that one our starting today! You ARE some kind of awesome!

asanchez Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:20pm
post #15 of 20

Leah, you have no windows in the kitchen also? now I'm beginning to feel better. I thought I was the only one!!!. One thing I have also is cabinets!!!.

Thanks for the support!!!.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:23pm
post #16 of 20

During the summer I bake very,early or very late.....during the coolest parts of the day....

TucsonGina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TucsonGina Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:39pm
post #17 of 20

I live in Arizona . . . you can literally put a cake on the sidewalk and it would bake! icon_cool.gif

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:14pm
post #18 of 20

I ended up putting my big oven outside and building an outdoor kitchen. I couldn't stand one more summer having to sweat like a farm animal while I was cooking! Tucson was 109 yesterday and yes Gina, you could have baked that cake!

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:31pm
post #19 of 20

I don't have any problems with my AC keeping up. I'm big on living green though, so I try to do my baking late at night.

Speaking of green living, I was reading an article recently on a pizzeria that used some new technology to route the heat off the ovens to heat the water in the water heater. Pretty cool.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:48pm
post #20 of 20

Early morning baking for me - evening is garden time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%