Lol A New One :)

Decorating By Cakechick123 Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 10:34pm by costumeczar

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:35am
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

The round fruitcake pictured looks really good....but can it be made without the fruit? Cuz the cake part looks delicious, it's the fruit that weird "candied" fruit that I don't like.

Somewhere I have a recipe for a fruitcake made with dried fruit, not candied fruit. My husband said it is a thousand times better than the candied fruit type. If I can find it I'll post it. I think I lost it though when we moved.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 8:34pm
post #32 of 35

I made a fruitcake and used a bag of mixed dried fruit (raisins, apricots, craisins, etc.) instead of the dreaded candied fruit, and people actually ate it. Some even liked it.

Sipot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sipot Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 8:55pm
post #33 of 35

I love the dark Fruit cake too, have not tried the light stuff, but did you know a lot of candied fruit is actually colored rutabega!! so it's sort of Fruit and vegetable cake icon_smile.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 9:30pm
post #34 of 35

I use candied fruit. But I use ones I like. There's a great store near me that has a huge assortment of candied fruits like candied pineapple, cantaloupe, mango, pear, etc. Though I do admit a nostalgic fondness for green candied cherries from me dear mother's stollen.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 10:34pm
post #35 of 35

I usually end up ordering a lot of the fruit from the King Arthur catalog, since I can't find it in the stores at the same time I want to start the cakes. The recipe I use is a basic traditional British one, and most of the fruit in it is dried, not candied.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%