Looking For A Pat On The Back, Please!

Decorating By kathik Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 11:01pm by kathik

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:04am
post #1 of 14

I don't do very many cakes anymore since I don't have a business, but I try to push myself when I get the chance. I really thought I did a great job on this one but haven't gotten any comments yet. I'm sorry if this sounds whiny, it's just that I know you guys understand the passion of decorating and the hard work that goes into it, and I was really looking forward to some feedback or constructive criticism on this cake. It's the first cake I ever tried that was standing up. Here's the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1718386.html

Thanks,
Kathi

13 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:08am
post #2 of 14

He is toooo cute. How do you have him standing up? I'm patting you on the back; you did a great job!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:11am
post #3 of 14

Great job thumbs_up.gif My grandson would love this cake.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:35am
post #4 of 14

thumbs_up.gif Pat, pat, pat. I think you did a good job.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:36am
post #5 of 14

Oh my gosh! It looks just like Gingy, I kinda expect him to start talking any minute! Very cute icon_smile.gif

kathik Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:43am
post #6 of 14

Thank you!

I used a wooden board for the base and attached L brackets, that had been hammered to about 80 degrees. Then I attached Gingy's cakeboard to an identical wooden shape and attached that to the upright of the L bracket. I torted the cake and used tiny little cardboard supports in two places with Wilton plastic lollipop sticks cut to size for the internal supports. I was surprised how sturdy he was. the only part I would have changed was that I had to use Parve chocolate instead of the Hershey looking chocolate for his "skirt". Oh, and I didn't get the skirt pieces aligned quite right.

Kathi

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:17am
post #7 of 14

Wow! It's perfect! LOL Love it - he's great!! You totally captured him!

Even though you explained it, I still have no idea how you got cake to stand up like that!! I'm trying my first topsy turvy cake this week for my neice's graduation party - I hope it turns out even 1/2 as good as yours!!

kathik Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 14

Thank you, LeckieAnne. I just looked at your photos and I have no doubt your topsy turvy cake will be beautiful!! I especially love your husband's grad cake- the owl is incredible!

Kathi

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 14

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}!

great job!

::high five::

(you're applying to take over my job on advising on internal support structures???? ya dun "that" gud! real real gud!)

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 14

I love it! That is sooo cute. Great job.

asanchez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asanchez Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 14

How cute!!!!

GREAT JOB!!!

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:50pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:28pm
post #13 of 14

I love it!!!

kathik Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:01pm
post #14 of 14

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Doug, you're embarrassing me! Trust me, I could never figure out stuff the way you do! It was just simple luck that my ideas worked. I'm sure it helped that the cake was only about 2" deep. He just looked to weird and out of proportion "fatter" than that!

Thank you everyone. Yesterday was such a depressing day for me that I really needed the lift. You guys are great and I feel so much better today! icon_smile.gif

Kathi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%