Cream Cheese Icing

Decorating By pumpkinroses Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 6:52pm by pumpkinroses

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 9

I have a wedding that needs 16 8" cakes (1 cake per table) and some of them have the Cream Cheese Icing. Can these be made ahead a time and frozen already filled and covered?

TIA
Nikki

8 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 9

Are you covering them in cream cheese ? I don't see why you couldn't. I'm waiting to see what others say. I freeze cakes sometimes, but I don't with frosting on them. Just haven't not for any reason.

pumpkinroses Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 9

They will be crumb coated and filled in the cream cheese and then covered in fondant. I know there are mixed results with freezing the fondant, just didn't know about the cream cheese part.

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 9

I'd try sandwiching cream cheese frosting between slices of cake ( your homemade cake,if you have any on hand,or SandraLee pound cake or any cheap cake ) and freezing and then defrosting it. if you have time you should try doing that and see how Creamcheese does between the layers.
I freeze my left over cream cheese frosting in ziplock baggies and they come out fresh and perfect consistency everytime I take it out.
good luck! thumbs_up.gif
- h

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:42am
post #5 of 9

If you use Fondarific fondant yes you can freeze it. Up to one year.
1 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
16 oz. cream cheese
3 1/2 lbs powdered sugar
1 T vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Mix on low speed for a couple of minutes.

If you use clear vanilla in both the color will be a perfect match for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-comicon_surprised.gifffice:smarttags" />Wilton's buttercream recipe. I use this to frost cheesecakes
when a couple wants part regular cake and part cheesecake for the tiers.

This makes a fairly stiff icing. For a softer one you can use 3 lbs. of powdered sugar.
This is my favorite cream cheese frosting. More of a cream cheese butter cream great to work with and tastes so good. Not sticky and messy like regular cream cheese frosting. If your not using Fondarific then I would fill and frost my cakes place in the freezer and let freeze completely then take out and wrap in plastic wrap. Remove from freeze a couple hours before you need to decorate and then cover in fondant that way you will be safe and not waste a ton of fondant.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 9

I am glad to hear you can use cream of cheese under fondant. I did it on a cake and had no problems with it. However, ini a previous post I was told you could not because something in the cream of cheese breaks down the fondant.

pumpkinroses Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all the great information. I'm starting to get a littel freaked out with the amount of cakes needed. I know I can pull it off but my be a little balder when I'm done. I plan on starting on them after the 4th, thank goodness for chest freezers.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 9

I freeze it all the time. Freeze. Wrap tightly. Thaw while wrapped. Unwrap. I personally believe it makes the cakes better by evening out the moisture.

pumpkinroses Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 9

Yeah, I freeze all of my cakes but usually they are unfilled. I just don't think I will have enough time to do 16 cakes and work a 40 hour week at my daytime job. Should be interesting.

I really appreciate all the advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%