How Much Should I Charge To Sale My Cupcakes Wholesale?

Business By hollyberry91 Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 3:33pm by TexasSugar

hollyberry91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyberry91 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:30am
post #1 of 6

I live in a small touristy town and I was wondering what i should charge a local ice cream/coffee shop for cupcakes? He wants a price for my standard flavor cupcakes like vanilla as well as specialty flavored cupcakes like white chocolate with raspberry filling? Should i require a minimum of a dozen or 2 dozen per flavor he orders? He's going to add his overhead to what i charged him and then sell them in his shop. So im trying to figure out a good price that would be profitable to both of us. Any advice welcome? Thanks : )

5 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:37am
post #2 of 6

minimum = 1 batch of batter
so if 1 batch makes 12 reg cupcakes or 24 minis or just 4 mongo then that's how many he had to order at least of each size.

-----

cost -- your full costs (ingredients, overhead, labor) -- only thing you're not paying for is advertising.

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 6

A cupcake costs around $ 0.13 cents plus labor and overhead. So charge $ 1.00 to $ 1.50, depending on how much he is going to charge (figure out what other stores in the area charge and he'll probably do the same). If he is only going to charge $ 1.50, then you charge somewhere between $ 0.75 to $ 0.80.

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 6

A cupcake costs around $ 0.13 cents plus labor and overhead. So charge $ 1.00 to $ 1.50, depending on how much he is going to charge (figure out what other stores in the area charge and he'll probably do the same). If he is only going to charge $ 1.50, then you charge somewhere between $ 0.75 to $ 0.80.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieA

How did you come up with $0.13?

To the OP, I echo what Doug said. Only you can figure out how much to charge for your cupcakes. It's ALL the costs associated to make the cupcake (ingredients + supplies + packaging + utilities + overhead + transport + business operating costs e.g. insurance, taxes, permits, etc, plus whatever profit you want to make off of each cupcake.

Personally I wouldn't sell 'em any much cheaper than my regular selling price. A regular order of one or two dozen cupcakes isn't big enough of a volume to justify lowering my price.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 6

To me I treat a cupcake like a regular serving of cake. I can make an 8in cake that serves 24 or I can make 24 cupcakes with the same amount of supplies. If you skip filling and just do a plain jane swirl then I can see charging a little less, but honestly I would have trouble going under $2.

BUT I'm with Doug, do not factor in what he has to charge. Your price is your price. He will have to either up the charge or decide it isn't a good option for it, but why should you shouldn't have to take a hit for him to make money.

I also agree that the min is the amount a batch of your mix/recipe makes. I never understood people selling six or twelve or eightteen cupcakes. I get atleast 24 out of it, so what do you do with the other's left over. And yes I know you can freeze batter and freeze cake, but at the same time I don't want a few cupcakes of this and a few cups of batter of that in the freezer, because the next time I need that flavor it would be my luck they need more than what I have and I'd have to make a new batch anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%