What Should We Use?? Gumpaste Or Fondant??

Decorating By SugarSugarDesserts Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 7:09am by Cakechick123

SugarSugarDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarSugarDesserts Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 4

I am always torn between what to use when making certain things. I tried to make bows the other day and my fondant was just too sticky and would not form right. So I added some gum-tex and then it cracked everytime I tried to make the bow? What should I have done?

Does anyone have a list of what you should use to create different items?

Like...
Figures - fondant or gumpaste?
Bows - fondant or gumpaste?
letters- fondant or gumpaste?
Funky Letter Tappits- fondant or gumpaste?
etc

3 replies
Kimboni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimboni Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 4

This is a good question. I have often wondered the same thing. I would like to know what the difference is between gumtex (which I use) and tylose is. I finally ordered some tylose last week and during delivery it busted in the box all over everything!!!

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 4

Figures - fondant is usually fine but if it is something very large and needs to defy gravity - do 1/2 and 1/2.
Bow loopa are tricky - I prefer all gumpaste because it dries in 24-48 hours but if you have longer to leave them - do 1/2 and 1/2.
Letters - just pressed on the side of a cake (put on when you cut it out)- fondant, but if you want them to stand up - gumpaste or 1/2 and 1/2.
Not sure what a funky latter tappit is?????

Also will depend on what type of gumpaste you use. Wilton GP is a little slower to dry then Satin Ice gumpaste.

Good Luck!

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:09am
post #4 of 4

figurines 1/2 1/2 gumpate and fondant
Bows - gumpaste
letters gumpaste or fondant
tappits definitly gumpaste,

a trick with tappits is to roll the paste as thin as you can get it, then flip it over and cut on the "wet" side

with gp you ahve to work a lot faster than with fondant. When you did you bow, did you keep the cut pieces under plastic until they were shaped? if not that probably why the bow cracked. Or you paste was too dry to begin with. Next time add some crisco until its pliable

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%