Results For 6Th Cake,

Decorating By wjbowden3 Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 6:33pm by mamawrobin

wjbowden3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wjbowden3 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:17am
post #1 of 10

Well the cake turned out pretty good, Tasty,, very thin icing on top i cant beleive how thin the icing is on the top , but the pudding was a nice amount wasnt to thin, ill have to upload a photo of the cake, kinda impressed i have to say LOL
Hope you all have a Great Monday

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:56am
post #2 of 10

The top of the cake looks really good!

When your icing is too runny like that, you should add powdered sugar instead of cornstarch. Buy a bag and keep it on hand for frosting emergencies icon_biggrin.gif You can also mix some scraps from leveling the cake with a little frosting and make a thick frosting dam to hold the pudding in...good way to use the scraps.

wjbowden3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wjbowden3 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 10

Hum never though to put crumbs back on the cake usually trying to keep crumbs out of cake, I would have used powder sugar but dont have it , only have cornstarch , thank you very much for your opinions, it really helps muchly appreciated, how long u been cake decorating ?

Harper77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harper77 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 10

Lovely roses on the top. Nothing like something homemade for Fathers and Mothers.

Enjoy your cake decorating journey!

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 10

I've been doing cakes about three years. Before that I would make cakes for the kids' birthdays but nothing that I wanted to show to anyone icon_biggrin.gif I just did it because it was cheaper than getting them at the grocery store. Once I quit working to stay home with the kids, I needed a hobby and I went through a few different hobbies before getting seriously into cake decorating.

I was reading the rest of your blog. It sounds like you need to find an icing recipe that works for you. You shouldn't have to put the icing in the fridge overnight before it will behave on a cake. If you do, then when the cake comes to room temperature the icing will start slipping off the sides, which will make it hard to take a cake somewhere in the summer, and also will not work for cakes that will be sitting out on display a few hours, like a wedding cake. I think making your own icing is cheaper than buying it, at least when you use a lot.

I use Indydebi's recipe http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing It tastes really good and it crusts up well so you can smooth it. Buying store-brand vegetable shortening instead of the Crisco makes the recipe work better, because most store-brand shortenings still have the trans fats. I don't do buttercream very often, but when I do, I use the Melvira method with the foam roller to smooth it after it crusts (you can get the foam roller at Walmart). It makes the buttercream so smooth it almost looks like fondant. Indydebi's recipe will hold up to heat pretty well too...I live in South TX and it's really hot and humid here from about May until October, so I used to have trouble with the frosting wanting to melt off the cake. I used the recipe from the wilton yearbook, but it never crusted, maybe because of the humidity.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 10

I would also suggest that you make a better icing. Like Texas_Rose I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe. I use crisco in mine. I read a post by Indydebi the other day and she said that when everyone started to complain about crisco removing the "trans fat" she was puzzled because it NEVER affected her icing. For some reason her icing isn't affected by the change.
I know that Texas said that "store brand vegetable shortening" makes the recipe "work better" because most of them still have the "trans fat" BUT according to Indydebi...this isn't the case. It is true for other buttercream recipes but for Indydebi's recipe it still works the same with the "new" crisco. I made it the other day with wal-mart brand shortening and it wasn't as good as using crisco.

With Indydebi's recipe I do beat my crisco for at least 15 minutes BEFORE adding any other ingredients. It's about the consistency of sour cream before I add the powdered sugar and other ingredients. This is the best buttercream icing that I've ever used. It smooths beautifully and crusts very well (as long as you DON'T refrigerate) I refrigerated a cake once and it was a nightmare. It took forever to crust and was a sticky mess.

If you're serious about cake decorating then you need to get some good recipes and start using the ones that work well for decorating. I would suggest that you crumbcoat your cakes. I crumbcoat every cake and I NEVER have to worry about getting crumbs in my icing. There are some very helpful tutorials on youtube..."how to crumbcoat a cake" "how to ice a cake" etc....these are great learning tools for the "serious" learner.
thumbs_up.gif Good box mix enhancers are also a good idea for a sturdier cake. "Building/constructing a good cake is essential for a "well dressed" cake. Level, smooth icing/fondant, straight sides, crisp edges, are very important...just as important as the decorations that are "put on" the cake.

Check out some of the cakes in the galleries. Notice that the "professional" looking cakes are well structured,"clean", straight, smooth etc. I cannot tell you how many cakes I made only to bake, level, tort, fill, crumbcoat, and ice just to get the "structure" of the cake down and learn how to properly smooth icing and perfect recipes. I have given cakes away, thrown them away and fed them to my family (till they were sick of them) icon_lol.gif I did this for weeks maybe even months before I moved to the next step of actually "decorating" my cakes.

I hope you enjoy this hobby as much as I do. I don't have my own business but I do work in a bakery. I'm still learning and hope to be really good one of these days. icon_smile.gif I have A LOT to learn but just wanted to share with you some of the things that have helped me. This site is a "wealth of knowledge" there are many talented decorators on cc that are always more than willing to help. I have learned so much from being a member of cc. Good luck and "happy decorating"

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:21pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I know that Texas said that "store brand vegetable shortening" makes the recipe "work better" because most of them still have the "trans fat" BUT according to Indydebi...this isn't the case. It is true for other buttercream recipes but for Indydebi's recipe it still works the same with the "new" crisco. I made it the other day with wal-mart brand shortening and it wasn't as good as using crisco.

It may depend on humidity. I know it's more humid where I live than where ID lives. When I use crisco, it's soft and creamy in the tub, but the store brand is thick and much more solid. It's not Walmart's generic though. I bought that once and it was gray and didn't smell right.

mamawrobin Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

It may depend on humidity. I know it's more humid where I live than where ID lives. When I use crisco, it's soft and creamy in the tub, but the store brand is thick and much more solid. It's not Walmart's generic though. I bought that once and it was gray and didn't smell right.

icon_lol.gif I'm with you on the "gray and didn't smell right" icon_eek.gif I threw half a can of that stuff away icon_lol.gif I live in Arkansas and we have about the same extreme heat and humidity as you. I don't have any trouble with the crisco either. Like I've said before I beat my crisco (pulverize it) until it looks like sour cream when I make my icing. So my shortening is "soft and creamy" from me beating it to death icon_lol.gif Indydebi said she doesn't know why her recipe works w/o trans fat but could be the use of Dream Whip. thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 10

I know if you throw a packet of Dream Whip into Earlene's cream cheese frosting it gives it a much nicer mouthfeel icon_biggrin.gif I think it's the emulsifiers in Dream Whip that do it.

mamawrobin Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:33pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I know if you throw a packet of Dream Whip into Earlene's cream cheese frosting it gives it a much nicer mouthfeel icon_biggrin.gif I think it's the emulsifiers in Dream Whip that do it.

Ya know I bet you're absolutely right. It's the only explanation that makes any sense thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%