1St Wedding Cake And A Couple Of "how To" Question

Decorating By julesh268 Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 1:55am by sweettreat101

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 12

I am a little nervous, but my cousin requsted that I make her wedding cake and I simply could not refuse. I have done stacked cakes and large cakes...but generally not together. I know how heavy cakes can be so I am concerned about how to make the bottom board that the cake will sit on. (I am still searching the tutorials icon_redface.gif ) For a large cake do you use a wooden base cut to the desired shape and then cover with foil or do you use the thick wilton type ones with several taped together? My gut tells me to use a piece of wood.

Then, I have had one cake-tastropy while transporting a stacked cake and am a little afraid of doing it again. I know what I did wrong, but are they tips on transporting the cake? The chicken in me wants to transport it un stacked and then finish it at the venue.

The wedding is in September so I want to do a practice one first. I am estimating 150 guests with a fairly simple, elegant, chic type cake.

Thanks!!!

11 replies
frosteddreamsbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosteddreamsbakery Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 12

For a wedding cake that serves 150, definitely use the wood board. Don't risk using cardboard, trust me! If you have a cake store in close by, they should have what you need. If not, do a google search for "wooden cake boards" and the first result that comes up will have what you need.
Good luck!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 12

I don't have a "wooden" cakeboard. I use cake drums (when I can find them..usually have to order) I tape 3 or 4 cardboard cakeboards together and they are plenty strong enough for the three and four tiered cakes that I've done.

It's a great idea for you to do a practice cake. You want everything to be perfect for your cousin's wedding cake. Good luck to you thumbs_up.gif

As far as transporting the cake...I deliver stacked up to 3 tiers. Sometimes 4 if it's not a large tiered cake. I use straws and cardboard circles for supports. I suggest SPS for wedding cakes because they tend to be larger than celebration cakes and the SPS will give you peace of mind.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 12

And, of course, always transport with a layer of non-slip plastic under the cake tiers!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 12

Most hardware stores, OSH, Home Depot, etc carry wood or pressed wood rounds, in lots of sizes, just cover with cake foil.

mamawrobin Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

And, of course, always transport with a layer of non-slip plastic under the cake tiers!

Oh my...I cannot believe I didn't mention that..it's a MUST for me thumbs_up.gif

Sherry1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry1030 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 12

I like to cover a masonite cake boards from GSA, they are very sturdy. Also I am a huge fan of the SPS for delivery - they are awesome!!

julesh268 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 12

You ladies are the best! Thank you for all of the suggestions!!! I will check out the pre-cut rounds at Home Depot and I will also look online for a masonite cake board.

Thanks for the reminder for the non-slip mat (bought a roll after my last incident!) and the SPS!

I feel better already.

So...what do I do with the trial cake? Any trial cake I give to my family...but we don't need that much cake!

mamawrobin Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesh268

So...what do I do with the trial cake? Any trial cake I give to my family...but we don't need that much cake!

Local fire department, police station, etc. Who don't like free cake.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:15am
post #10 of 12

Mamawrobin, you're the goods! I can't tell you how often I've thought of a reply to a post only to find you've already said it, only a lot better. Keep up the good work!

julesh268 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:32am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesh268

Local fire department, police station, etc. Who don't like free cake.

Well...since I am a cop and my husband is a fireman they too are the beneficiaries of my practice cakes. TOO FUNNY! icon_lol.gif But, they guys were JUST asking me tonight if there would be any cake soon.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:55am
post #12 of 12

I use cake drums. I purchase my last ones at fondantsource. Great pricing especially is you need any other cake supplies. They have the best prices around.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%