Bottom Cake Board

Decorating By FEIwannabe Updated 20 Jun 2010 , 10:57am by mamawrobin

FEIwannabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FEIwannabe Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:40am
post #1 of 5

First, I'd like to say that I've been lurking here a while, and I'd like to thank everyone for all that I have learned from your posts and replies.
Now, I have a question of my own.

When you put the bottom tier of a cake on a board that's a little larger than the cake and it's covered in fancy foil (or other papers covered with contact paper, etc), do you ice the cake right on the covered board? Or do you have an additional cake board that the bottom tier sits on which is the same size of that tier which you then place on the covered board after you've iced the bottom tier?

Also, when you have an upper tier that has a board that is slightly smaller than the cake itself, do you cover that board with anything, or do you just use the bare cardboard?

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 6:12am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEIwannabe

Or do you have an additional cake board that the bottom tier sits on which is the same size of that tier which you then place on the covered board after you've iced the bottom tier?

I do this (above), but it depends on how large the tier is and if you can handle moving one that's really big or too heavy. If you're good at making the transfer, it's a plus to not need to clean the board if you get it messy while icing. If you do it the other way, you should still use a cardboard under the cake because Contact paper isn't food safe, and it's a good habit for when using plates that aren't disposable so they don't get cut up and scratched.

BTW, how did you do it on the cake in your photo? Your board is neat and clean and the cake is TOO cute! I would think it's more difficult to ice on the board when the cake isn't in the middle, like how you set the cake towards the back for extra decorating room on the front. That would make me crazy, so I'd ice it first for sure.

Quote:

Also, when you have an upper tier that has a board that is slightly smaller than the cake itself, do you cover that board with anything, or do you just use the bare cardboard?

Just bare cardboard.

I have to say WOW... you've been a lurker for over a year, and are just now posting for the first time!!! Welcome!

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 6:55am
post #3 of 5
Quote:

I know everyone says they just use cardboard but I always think the cake moisture would make it soggy so I get a styrofoam plate and cut that into a circle for my middle cake board. The styrofoam plates are cheap, easily accesible, durable, and easy to cut.

FEIwannabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FEIwannabe Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:09am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

BTW, how did you do it on the cake in your photo? Your board is neat and clean and the cake is TOO cute!

Thank you. I had lots of fun making it.
I iced the bottom layer right on the foil covered bottom tier. I did another cake tonight the same way. But was thinking that it may be better to do it separately and then move it to the foil board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

I have to say WOW... you've been a lurker for over a year, and are just now posting for the first time!!! Welcome!

I had (and still have) lots to read and learn from all the posts already here. And so many of my questions have been answered by previous posters. Love this board.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 10:57am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug

Quote:

Why would you put a cake on a board that is "slightly smaller than the cake"? Cake circles are designed to be slightly larger than the cake for the purpose of having a "shelf" for your icing/fondant. When the tier is removed for cutting it wouldn't be fully supported if the cakeboard is "smaller than the cake. nt.

I know everyone says they just use cardboard but I always think the cake moisture would make it soggy so I get a styrofoam plate and cut that into a circle for my middle cake board. The styrofoam plates are cheap, easily accesible, durable, and easy to cut.

They are designed for this purpose and "cake moisture" does not make them soggy. icon_confused.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%