Is There Any Way To De-Chunk My Ganache?

Baking By confectionsofahousewife Updated 28 Aug 2010 , 9:46pm by Moondance

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 1:53am
post #1 of 31

Obviously, I am ganache impaired. I made some chocolate ganache yesterday, 2:1 ratio chocolate to heavy cream. Followed instructions precisely (Shirley Corriher's) and damn if there aren't tiny chocolate chunks in the ganache. Tastes great and when you eat it you can't even tell there are chunks, its not crunchy. Its just for a family cake for father's day tomorrow but I would still like it to look nice. Is there any way to get rid of the chunks? Thanks!

30 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:08am
post #2 of 31

You could warm it up and run it through the food processor. Then refrigerate to cool it down.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:12am
post #3 of 31

If you have a food processor, put it in there for several minutes. I think it will come out smooth and fluffy.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:18am
post #4 of 31

first thing to try... did you try re-warming it in microwave and re-whip it for a good few minutes?

you said two to one?? icon_confused.gif
second thing to try...regular ganche is 1 pounds chocolate to 1 cup heavy cream.. is that what you meant? If it is then another option is make sure it is room temp, and simply add in two table spoons of real butter melted and whip it again. The fats in the ganache is what produces the smoothness.

I make my own heavy cream, instead of buying it. And have used the butter trick.

good luck.

tip for next time.. if you are getting small dark chunks then you are probably adding your milk mixture too soon after heating. it should be between 90 & 110 degrees. If higher you are over heating the chocolate and causing it to curdle. like when you melt choc chips in microwave for too long and it siezes up. hope that makes sense.

I hope other people put some responses too. I am always wanting to learn more about ganache. I swear it is more science then cooking.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:27am
post #5 of 31

I would just rewarm it, and stir until they are gone. I have had it happen once before, and that fixed it.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:15am
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

I make my own heavy cream, instead of buying it. And have used the butter trick.

Wait, you make your own heavy cream?

I've made butter but never heavy cream. Would you be willing to share the method? I'm intrigued....!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:38am
post #7 of 31
Quote:

...regular ganche is 1 pounds chocolate to 1 cup heavy cream.. is that what you meant?

I thought it was 12 oz choc to 1 cup heavy cream icon_confused.gif Have I been making it wrong this whole time?!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:44am
post #8 of 31

The best way to reheat ganache is slowly, over a hot water bath.

tesso Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:53am
post #9 of 31

the best site i ever came across for ganache shows up blocked on here.. so I am going to see if I cant copy the info. and paste here...

Ordinary Dark: 1 pound dark chocolate to 1 cup (8 ounces) heavy cream .. Used as a glaze or beaten to a "buttercream-like" texture for cake fillings and/or frostings

Rich Dark: 1 pound dark choc to 12 ounces heavy cream.. Same as ordinary dark.

Truffle Dark: 1 pound dark choc to 16 ounces heavy cream.. Beaten to a thick and velvety texture for fillings

Ordinary White: 3 parts white choc to 1 part heavy cream.. Used as a glaze or beaten to a "buttercream-like" texture for cake fillings and/or frostings.

It has so many other things on the web site i wish it would post.

tesso Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:56am
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloChellie

Quote:

Wait, you make your own heavy cream?

I've made butter but never heavy cream. Would you be willing to share the method? I'm intrigued....!

sure not a problem..

Ingredients:
  3/4 cup milk
  1/3 cup butter
Preparation:
1. Melt the butter.
2. Pour it into the milk, and stir.
3. Use in place of one cup of heavy cream

yah it is that simple.

tesso Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:58am
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

Quote:

...regular ganche is 1 pounds chocolate to 1 cup heavy cream.. is that what you meant?

I thought it was 12 oz choc to 1 cup heavy cream icon_confused.gif Have I been making it wrong this whole time?!

not really wrong. but to make it a standard ganache you should adjust your heavy cream to 3/4 cup is all.

just think of it this way..1/4 cup heavy cream to every 4 oz of chocolate.

also most of the time i use semi-sweet chocolate chips as my chocolate.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:12am
post #12 of 31

Tesso: Interesting - never thought of making my own heavy cream, duh! OK, so are you using salted or unsalted butter and does it make a difference in the finished ganache? What a great tip is this - saves me a trip to the market.

tesso Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:15am
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie4

Tesso: Interesting - never thought of making my own heavy cream, duh! OK, so are you using salted or unsalted butter and does it make a difference in the finished ganache? What a great tip is this - saves me a trip to the market.

I have used both. but prefer salted. sorry..missed the other part of the question.. No. it didnt affect the ganache, just taste preference.

PiccoloChellie Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:29am
post #14 of 31

I am so trying the homemade heavy cream next time I make ice cream. No idea if it'll work, but if it does... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:31am
post #15 of 31

ive [personally found that if i use a regular spoon i end up with lumps; but if use a whisk.. its lump free. =)

tesso Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:37am
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloChellie

I am so trying the homemade heavy cream next time I make ice cream. No idea if it'll work, but if it does... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

oh it works!!! if you like peaches you have got to make peaches and cream with it !! I have an ice cream maker and use it all the time. oreo is fab too !! or choc chip.. okay if it is ice cream I am all over it !! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:45am
post #17 of 31

OH HELL...I tried to make ganache and have sat here wondering why the darn thing won't thicken... When I read 2:1 ratio, I must have misunderstood. I thought it was heavy cream to chocolate. Now I know why its so watery!!! well, creamy...

Can I fix in the AM? or should I go get it off the counter and start now. I was going to put this on my husbands "requested" cake. The man never eats anything "unhealthy" and he doesn't buy into my mentality that cake is a large percentage of protein and dairy! Okay, so that is a stretch...but please, let me know if there is anything I can do to fix!!

PiccoloChellie Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:50am
post #18 of 31
Quote:

oh it works!!! if you like peaches you have got to make peaches and cream with it !! I have an ice cream maker and use it all the time. oreo is fab too !! or choc chip.. okay if it is ice cream I am all over it !! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

It does?!?!? *falls over dead*

Oh man, I am all about the ice cream maker. Cookies n cream...peanut butter chocolate... chocolate cinnamon... choco covered pretzel... coconut... sweet tea... coffee....
I made my Grandpa a big batch of coconut-pineapple-orange-almond for tomorrow, and I'm making my fella vanilla-pomegranate once the bowl finishes refreezing. After that (thank you very much) will be peaches n cream with the much cheaper homemade heavy cream method. And then chocolate cinnamon. And then....man, I'm glad it's summertime. icon_biggrin.gif

PiccoloChellie Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:52am
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirlNga

OH HELL...I tried to make ganache and have sat here wondering why the darn thing won't thicken... When I read 2:1 ratio, I must have misunderstood. I thought it was heavy cream to chocolate. Now I know why its so watery!!! well, creamy...

Can I fix in the AM? or should I go get it off the counter and start now. I was going to put this on my husbands "requested" cake. The man never eats anything "unhealthy" and he doesn't buy into my mentality that cake is a large percentage of protein and dairy! Okay, so that is a stretch...but please, let me know if there is anything I can do to fix!!

Remelt it gently, and add more chocolate to equal two parts choco to one part cream. It'll be fine. icon_smile.gif

tesso Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:53am
post #20 of 31

It can be saved. you just need to add more chocolate. you can warm your ganache up in the morning, put in microwave to get a little hot, or as brandi suggested you can warm over a hot water bath, then pour that over your added chocolate and start whisking away. icon_biggrin.gif

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:26am
post #21 of 31

Thanks for all the responses! I use a 2:1 ratio by weight. So I used 2 lbs. chocolate and 1 lb (which is about 2 cups) heavy cream. I'll try the food processor first since I need it for today and don't want to wait for it to cool down. If that doesn't work, I'll try reheating it.

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:35am
post #22 of 31

What is the ratio for ganache under fondant to make the fondant smooth?

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:41am
post #23 of 31

Thank You... I am about to salvage my ganache goof!!!

mom2spunkynbug Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:40pm
post #24 of 31

Interesting tip about using a spoon vs. whisk! I'll try a whisk next time! Do you guys put it in your Kitchen Aid? I usually let it sit for 5 min and then stir by hand with a spoon.

And about the ICE CREAM maker... icon_biggrin.gif What kind do you guys have? I don't know anything about these & my BIL gave me one years ago & I have never used it?! I think it only makes soft serve? But I'm not sure icon_confused.gif I always thought it was one of those cheap-o ones...but like I said, I really have no idea LOL!

tesso Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 10:32pm
post #25 of 31

I use a wisk when I add in the heavy cream.. then i chill it for a little while, then into the KA to whip for frosting.

I have a Revel (sp?) brand ice cream maker. It is an old one and it makes hard ice cream not soft serve. Personally I HATE soft serve ice cream.

PiccoloChellie Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:32am
post #26 of 31

I have the ice cream maker attachment for the Kitchenaid. Love it. You get a soft serve type consistency when it's first out of the machine, then once you put it in the freezer it's hard ice cream. It makes 2 quarts at a time and if your freezer is cold enough, you can do 2 batches a day.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:34am
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I would just rewarm it, and stir until they are gone. I have had it happen once before, and that fixed it.

This. I find I get lumps just because all the chocolate hasn't melted. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat until lumps are gone.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:19pm
post #28 of 31

OMG a KitchenAid attachment for ICE CREAM?!?! icon_surprised.gif Wow! I gotta get that!!!

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 4:49am
post #29 of 31

I went to a class today and when the chocolate in the ganache hadn't melted entirely the instructor put the bowl in a warm water bath and then plugged in . . . an immersion blender! It became beautifully silky smooth ganache in a jiffy. As long as you keep the blender head under the surface it won't whip any air into it (if you want to keep it un-aerated).

Today was my first ganache experience so I'm excited to try it on my own. Thanks to all of you for your help and tips!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:28am
post #30 of 31

You know, one of these days I'm going to have to actually measure something to see how it works out! icon_lol.gif I just put the whipping cream in a pan, heat to barely boiling, then dump the chocolate in the pan ... beat with a whisk. Too thin? Add more chocolate. icon_biggrin.gif Lumpy? Set it back on the burner for a few seconds to let the chocolate melt some more.

This "measuring" thing .... is it a new fad?

(from your lovable "until it looks right" cook!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%