Modelling Chocolate

Decorating By kettlevalleygirl Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 4:31am by kettlevalleygirl

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:39am
post #1 of 4

I wanted to try out modelling chocolate and was wondering what brand is good? And of course where to get it!!
Thanks

3 replies
cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:58am
post #2 of 4

I tried the recipe here for chocolate clay and it worked beautifully! I used semi-sweet chocolate chipes (10 oz) and added 1/3 cup corn syrup. It worked out really well and I couldn't believe how easy it was!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 4

You can buy modeling chocolate, but it's much more expensive than if you make it yourself--and it's soooo easy.

Here's my recipe:

14 oz. candy melts (any color or flavor) or chocolate chips
1/3 light corn syrup (I find that the cheapest brands work best)

Melt candy melts in a plastic, microwave safe bowl, on 50% power in short bursts, stirring in between, and until almost completely melted. Stir until no lumps. Stir in corn syrup gently until a dough forms. Squeeze the dough with your hands over a throw away container until it stops producing liquid. Place on a piece of saran wrap and spread it with your hands until it's a small, flat piece of even thickness (maybe 3/4 to 1 inch tall). Wrap well and refrigerate.
To use, nuke a piece the size of your hand for about 5-6 seconds and knead on cornstarch.
Roll out on cornstarch.
Stick pieces together with a dab of water.
Store well wrapped at room temp.

My candy clay/modeling chocolate isn't sticky.

If I use the bright white candy coating wafers, it's very, very white.

I always nuke it for a few seconds before starting to knead it, so no sore hands.

If not kneaded too long--to the point where the heat of your hands makes it glossy and hard to hold it's shape--it stays very, very dry because of "milking" out a lot of the fat.

It's a fun medium and it tastes great. My favorite way to make roses, too.

HTH
Rae

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:31am
post #4 of 4

Thank you, I didn't receive any notification that I received replies...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%