Help Shipping A Cake

Decorating By danhalbel Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 3:04am by cakegrandma

danhalbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danhalbel Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:01am
post #1 of 11

Hey there! I am wondering if there is anyway for a wedding cake to be shipped from Indiana to Eygpt. I totally think it sounds crazy but I have heard of crazier things. She wants it shipped to Eygpt then she wiull have someone there to stack it when it arrives. I really do not think there is anyway to do this with numerous things going wrong. If you have any ideas...please send them my way. THANK YOU! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:04am
post #2 of 11

This sounds suspiciously like a scam. Did this person contact you via email?

danhalbel Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:15am
post #3 of 11

I am doubtbul of people so I will very careful. I have not commited to anything and I really do not think it is possible. They contacted me via Etsy. Thanks You!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:32am
post #4 of 11

Even if it's NOT a scam--and it sure sounds like it is---it's got to be a nightmare waiting to happen. The shipping costs would be astronomical.

It's hard enough to try to ship a small cake 2 states away, let alone halfway across the world. icon_eek.gif

In many foreign countries, items from other parts of the world are held for many days before being released.

Money orders can easily be faked and credit card payments voided..................

JMHO
Rae

PiccoloChellie Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:47am
post #5 of 11

I agree, Rae.
I'm willing to bet refrigerated shipping trucks and paying the shipping agent are involved here. Perhaps even Happy Marriage Life and strawberry cakes.

Dan, whether contacted directly via email or through Esty, please think of the logistics here. How many precautions do decorators take to deliver a cake 20 miles away? And how many problems crop up?
Now imagine shipping a cake covered in soft, meltable buttercream across half of the US, across an ocean, and to a desert environment. Through customs. At least twice.

Why would someone in Egypt offer to pay all that money in shipping fees when chances are 99% that the cake will be destroyed or spoil before it arrives? Why not get a cake in Egypt?

danhalbel Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:57am
post #6 of 11

Well she says she lives here in US and she is getting married there. I really did not think it was possible either.
Thank you both!

PiccoloChellie Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:02am
post #7 of 11

Would you be willing to share the text of the email this person sent you? If this is a new scam, it's helpful for everyone to know what to look out for. Usually scam emails are sent out to multiple decorators copy-paste, so it's fairly easy to pick them out.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:08am
post #8 of 11

There is an add here where a lady says all her cakes are baked and decorated in Costa Rica and shipped here. She charges a LOT for her cakes. My friend and I just couldn't work out how that is even possible given how many rules there at customs - especially regarding food items.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:09am
post #9 of 11

Large weddings are popular in Egypt and the larger hotels are generally high class and "European".

Perhaps you could forward this link to the woman:

http://www.weddingsinegypt.com/cake.htm

Rae

danhalbel Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:42am
post #10 of 11

Here is the convo she sent vis etsy convo. Her etsy name is cgriggle . On her profile she states that she is looking for wedding items and has purchased items on etsy that could be for a wedding. I will send her the link to the website THANKS!

Hi

I am getting married in Egypt and I was wantng to know even if they have to be in sep boxes could you ship a cake over there? And if I give you the cake I am wanting do you think you could replicate it and tell me about how much it would be? It will need to feed 325 and I was hoping it could have just as many tieres as the pic does.
Thank you and please answer these ?'s if you can help me thenI will send you the link to my cake.
Courtney

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:04am
post #11 of 11

The link is the best thing to do for her. Like others have said items stay in customs until they release them and if it is like in the U.S. things would be opened and inspected. I know there are cake bakers there that may not even work with a venue. Does she have relatives or the groom have relatives there? If not it seems a long way to go to get married. I had a gentleman from Egypt about 4 years ago that was on vacation in Atlanta (he was American) and he ran a business for his father-in-law. He made cakes all the time and wanted to take the Wilton classes so he could develop his techniques instead of just learning on his own. I would be afraid it is a scam, and scamers can make things sound legit.
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
evelyn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%