Transport Stacked Cake If Using Bubble Tea?

Decorating By rltmeng Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 12:31am by shari22

rltmeng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rltmeng Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:47am
post #1 of 18

Hi, I would like advice from anyone who uses bubble tea straws please. I read that if you use bubble tea straws for support that you should not travel with the cake stacked. Is this true? I have to travel 1 hour with a wedding cake and now am nervous about transporting it stacked if I use bubble tea straws. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

17 replies
Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:59am
post #2 of 18

I have never heard that before. I use Bubble tea straws when I stack. I complete the cake at home and travel with it stacked. No problems....yet.....knock on wood.

The amazing Sharon Z. uses the Bubble Tea straw method as well. If I am not mistaken, she travels with them stacked as well.

HTH

Michael

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 18

I find bubble tea straws to be sturdier and more reliable than dowels under any circumstance.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 18

Honestly, if your cake is 3 tiers and under you should be fine!

rltmeng Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:24pm
post #5 of 18

Thanks for the responses. I am doing a 3 tier, and later this summer a 4 tier, is 4 tiers too many to travel stacked?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 18

Just make sure those straws are cut evenly and put into the cake straight. I also always put a center dowel through the entire cake when traveling.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 18

I have traveled with a 4 tier cake. I just make sure it is chilled and that the center dowels (there are three center dowels in my 4 teir cake one through tiers 1 and 2, one between 1, 2, and 3 and one through the whole thing) are into the bottom cakeboard.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:47pm
post #8 of 18

I'm in the same boat! I am traveling for the first time with a 3 tier stacked cake supported by bubble tea straws in my new CakeSafe and I'm a nervous wreck about it!! I have never stacked and traveled, always finish on site but with a CakeSafe sitting on my table, I really need to suck it up and quit fretting!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:52pm
post #9 of 18

That cake safe will work like a charm ( I LOVE mine!) with that, you don't have a worry in the world. thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:54pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I find bubble tea straws to be sturdier and more reliable than dowels under any circumstance.

thumbs_up.gif Agree thumbs_up.gif I deliver stacked...... up to four tiers and I use straws icon_smile.gif

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 18

Okay, I'm feeling a little less nervous now! Thanks!

rltmeng Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 18

Thanks everyone, that does make me feel better to know it can be done. Pinkpiggie78, I am a little confused about where you place the dowel rods, you stack tiers 1 & 2 and place a dowel rod, add the 3rd tier, place another rod, and stack the 4th and add the final rod? Is that correct?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:37pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rltmeng

Thanks for the responses. I am doing a 3 tier, and later this summer a 4 tier, is 4 tiers too many to travel stacked?

Not so much that it's TOO MUCH for the straws......just usually TOO MUCH for me to carry! lol I'd be a bit nervous though with anything over 3, not that it can't be done...but I wouldn't give a second thought to straws supporting a 3 tiered cake, 4 on the other hand would make me nervous,that's all!

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:21am
post #14 of 18

where do you buy these bubble tea straws? Would like to order some.

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:36am
post #15 of 18

Iris219, I buy them at my local Asian food market. They are made as drinking straws for drinking "bubble tea." They have a larger diameter than regular drinking straws and are quite sturdy. Many cakers use them as support within tiers of a cake because they are cheap (I think I get 100 of them for $1.25), easy to cut (with regular scissors) and, as you can tell from the responses in this post, strong enough to support cake tiers.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:49am
post #16 of 18

Be sure to adhere a riser under your bottom board so you can easily get your fingers under to pick it up. I use some round wooden discs from Michaels and use Scotch double sided adhesive squares to attach them. Works great!

cookielicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookielicious Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:55am
post #17 of 18

Great idea about the riser underneath!

shari22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shari22 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 12:31am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakingangel

Be sure to adhere a riser under your bottom board so you can easily get your fingers under to pick it up. I use some round wooden discs from Michaels and use Scotch double sided adhesive squares to attach them. Works great!

Awesome!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%