Yes...another How Much Question :0)

Decorating By cakemamaP Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 10:27pm by KayMc

cakemamaP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemamaP Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 5:07am
post #1 of 16

So I don't have a cake business, but I would like to one day....but after doing this shower cake for my best friend, my husband asks how much could you charge for something like this?? And is it normal for it to take as long as it takes you??
So my question is how much would you charge and with practice how long should something like this take?? I think he's trying to see if it will be profitable...
I can't seem to attach the photo...if you don't mind taking a peek at the latest cake I added...best friends shower cake.

15 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 16

How much did you spend making it? That is an important factor in to how much you should charge.

cakemamaP Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:51am
post #3 of 16

thank you I will have to sit down and figure that out...so once you figure that out, how do you go from there?? Do you have a certain percentage that you mark up? Or figure out a price hourly? Or base it on what others in your area are doing??
\\
Oh and here is the cake I was referring to, hopefully the link works....

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1710662

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:07am
post #4 of 16

very cute cake! lots of details. I would says at least $80

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:22am
post #5 of 16

what size cakes are they? In my area, fondant covered cakes go anywhere from $3-$4.50 per serving, just depends. I don't have a business, but I know some who do.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:26am
post #6 of 16

1. How much it cost to make the cake
2. average cost in your area
3. quality of work/decorating abilities.

People are usually told to factor in what it cost them to make the cake and to check and see what the "going rate" is in "their area" for custom cakes. I think "quality of work" should also be considered when determining how much a cake is "worth".

cakemamaP Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:37am
post #7 of 16

They are 8 and 6 inch cakes...
mamawrobin, how do you determine what your quality of work is....I always seem to see the flaws far more than others do and always wish I had gotten it cleaner looking, or more precise....but no one seems to notice.
I see a lot of people charging a certain amount per serving, then adding on for more details like flowers, or the baby or molded figures...but again how do you price a flower, or baby or figure...most of the baker/cake decorators that I've found online don't put prices on their sites...do I call and just ask...it seems strange to do something like that???

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:36am
post #8 of 16

By "quality or work" I don't mean the little flaws that we all can find that the non cake person would never notice. icon_lol.gif Your cake is really cute..btw..
I'm talking about the overall structure of the cake (how the actual cake looks under all of the decorations) color choices, "too thick" fondant can ruin the looks of a cake as well as "too thin" fondant. Buttercream cakes that aren't smooth but look like a monkey iced them. "monkey iced" ...a "coined phrase" from costumeczar... icon_lol.gif Overall a poorly decorated cake. You can look at "cakewrecks" and get a general idea of what I'm talking about.
thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 9:11am
post #9 of 16

A 6/8 serves 12/24 = 36 servings. My fondant rate was $4.50/serving = $162.00 ... especially when you factor in the baby and the fondant detail work you did.

But don't just take my rate, or anyone else's rate, out the air and use it. The example I give is to compare my rates of $3.50/serving BC and let's say our Alaskan CC'er, KoryAK, who has to charge maybe $6.00/serving because to ship supplies to Alaska costs a fortune; and snarkybaker who might charge $7/serving because she uses premium and imported ingredients that are more expensive than mine.

Unless you know what the expenses are, you can't figure what the price should be. Someone might look at snark's $7/serving and think it SHOULD be cheaper ..... until they understand her expenses are higher than most because she offers a higher quality than most.

cakemamaP Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:37pm
post #10 of 16

thanks so much this is all very helpful :0) I don't want to start a cake business to make money, I want to do it b/c I love it. But I also don't want to be working for free b/c I'd like to help support my family if I'll be taking time away from them to do this. I'm assuming with all the custom cake designers out there, there must be a decent income involved otherwise no one would do it, b/c lets face it....compliments don't pay this bills. so I will go forward with all of your advice and figure out what to do.
Thank you again so much!!

indydebi Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemamaP

I don't want to start a cake business to make money, I want to do it b/c I love it. But I also don't want to be working for free b/c I'd like to help support my family ....

You get to pick one .... you don't get to do both.

You're either doing it for free and NOT making money ..... or you're doing it to make money.

cakemamaP Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:14pm
post #12 of 16

so you can't love what you do and get paid for it???? Sorry maybe my last post didn't come across right....I want to do something that I love but alsso to get compensated for the time that it will take away from my family. Isn't this what everyone hopes for to find a job/career that they love and to get paid to do it....is this ideal not possible in the cake world??
when I read this back it sounds a bit snarky, which is not at all how it's intended so please don't take it that way....I honestly want to know what you mean by you don't get to do both?? :0)

cakemamaP Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:20pm
post #13 of 16

I'm not in it to get rich...maybe that better explains what I meant....sorry, now I'm over thinking all this :0)

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:26pm
post #14 of 16

I think its really hard to get rich doing cakes. haha. Don't worry, you won't! We all do it because we love it.

My business helps my family alot but its definitely nothing that could support us on its own, and never will be.

Pricing is something I think YOU have to build up to on your own. My pricing has had to "evolve" over the years, as my skill level grows, the cost of living goes up, my demand increases, etc.

indydebi Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 6:50pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemamaP

so you can't love what you do and get paid for it???? Sorry maybe my last post didn't come across right....I want to do something that I love but alsso to get compensated for the time that it will take away from my family. Isn't this what everyone hopes for to find a job/career that they love and to get paid to do it....is this ideal not possible in the cake world??
when I read this back it sounds a bit snarky, which is not at all how it's intended so please don't take it that way....I honestly want to know what you mean by you don't get to do both?? :0)

I think we both got lost in translation.

I read that you "didnt' want to start a cake business to make money" which to me meant you had no interest in turning a profit. But then you said you'd "like to help support my family", which means you need to turn a profit.

My response was meant to point out "you either turn a profit or you don't." You can't "not make money" and still "support your family". It's just not logistically possible.

Yes, you do something you love and get paid for it .... and that means you're making money. If you are breaking even or losing money with each cake, then you're not actually getting paid for it (you're actually paying the customer to make the cake for them!) and you're not supporting your family.

I think we both understand what each meant, now. thumbs_up.gif

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 10:27pm
post #16 of 16

Your cakes are gorgeous and very professional looking! You could definitely sell them! I hope you go into business for it, if that's what you want, as you have a great touch with this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%